massive bleaching event

MisFit

Non-member
So I came in this morning to see all the sps in my frag rack bleached out and the LPS and zooanthids were looking sad. I eventually determined the lights had been on constantly since friday morning due to a timer malfunction. Any ideas on the best course of treatment? Most still have patches of color and polyps, some are completely gone. I have the lights off now. Im thinking I'll start with 2 hours/day and add an hour a day, maybe raise them up as well. Im not really sure what to do... All the clams look fine however...

first...sorry for your event.

I'd leave the lights off for one day.
I'd run carbon, do a water change, and then go back to a regular lighting schedule.

Watch your parameters too...

thanks.... its really disappointing, I had some softball sized colonies in there ready for some serious fragging. I guess it will be even longer before I have one of my free coral blowouts again. At least the main tank wasnt affected, but there were a bunch of things that hadn't made it to the main tank yet. I need to take a photo of the damage when the lights come back on tomorrow.

heres some photos

Attachments

• IMG_0222.jpg
    IMG_0222.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_0214.jpg
    IMG_0214.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 306
a few more

Attachments

• IMG_0212.jpg
    IMG_0212.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_0221.jpg
    IMG_0221.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_0210.jpg
    IMG_0210.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 308
ouch....here's hoping they come back....and like I said....carbon, water changes, watch parameters....

One year later (and one crisis where the salinity was dropped from 35ppt to 23ppt overnight)

Attachments

• IMG_0579.jpg
    IMG_0579.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 236
How many corals did you loose from that event?

I lost a ton of tiny pocillopora frags, a couple of acro frags, a few real small monti frags and a couple other small frags. Pretty much anything that was really small got toasted as they completely bleached out. Anything that was larger survived.

Back