Meteor shower 1 year of growth!

kingfish62

Non-member
It has been just over a year so I thought I would post some recent pics to show growth. It is spreading nicely . I am tempted to frag it but I am hoping to cover the whole rock first. There is a lot of growth behind the original colony
Love these corals , these pics do not do them justice!

Does any one else have these?

Before
DSCF4481.jpg

After
DSCF8604.jpg

DSCF8602.jpg

Bought a newer piece 6 months ago.

DSCF8599.jpg

Thanks Guys!
It started off slowly but seems to be encrusting a lot faster now.
You can see how a thin see through " skin" encrust over the rock on the last photo. Polyps seem to grow out of that pretty quickly and and take some more time for the blue skin and red polyps to color up!

I can't wait to start keeping SPS. My bank account can though... Lol.
They are so worth the investment.
I paid 50 bucks for each colony and they were about the size of a golf ball. Thought that it was a good deal, especially since they were the elusive Holy Grail of corals for me! I saw one once at a LFS and took years to find one to buy for myself.

Here is a different variety that I just found !

DSCF7439.jpg

Last edited:
Now that you mention it, by definition, it IS a large polyped stony coral, so i'd agree in saying it should be LPS.

Hmm... I may have to give these bad larry's a try! And that IS a great price! Did you get them from an LFS or another member? I wanna start keeping some corals i've never kept before. Tried a carnation tree. That was stupid of me.

Just stumbled upon the first variety at a LFS it wad the only thing that they had that was interesting, Never saw them again there. The blue and green one was from richardong , a member here.

kingfish62... what size is your tank and what lighting do you keep these under? I have a meteor shower I got maybe a year ago, but it's color has faded quite a lot since then. However, it is encrusting all over my rock.

Stitch87... I have a frag for sale in my thread under Corals for Sale. lmk if your interested, I can give you a good price!

I have mine in a standard 55g with 216w of T5's they are in the lowest part of the tank. I heard that they color up more with low light.

Well, I could not wait!
I just fragged a small piece of biggest colony and glued it to a fresh piece of rock. It was in the back and of the coral on the newly encrusted rock, I figured what the heck !

I have mine in a standard 55g with 216w of T5's they are in the lowest part of the tank. I heard that they color up more with low light.

I originally had it low a little under a shaded area, but color still didn't pop like the tank I got it from. I will try placing it lower again and see what happens, thanks though!

Corals do look different with different lighting sometimes. The color change will not happen overnight but if the polyps are extended and look healthy it should come around.
Any pics of yours?

Well, I could not wait!
I just fragged a small piece of biggest colony and glued it to a fresh piece of rock. It was in the back and of the coral on the newly encrusted rock, I figured what the heck !

Here is a pic of the little frag. Remind me to post another pic in a month.
DSCF8733_zps7fd812fd.jpg

Back