MH one side Fluorescent the other?

gordonzoo

Non-member
I'm in the midst of planning our next tank. I?m looking into a LARGE tank maybe 6? 210g and we want variety. I came into a couple of 400w MH pendant systems but I don?t like the Idea of having to pay the electric bills running them both. I was wondering what it would look like or if anyone?s seen a system that had a MH with actinics on one side with just fluorescents on the other. I figure I could keep SPS on one side and most everything else on the other. Would the lighting blend together or would this look too off balanced? I guess I could install both and only run one side but it would be tough to fit everything. Again all opinions are welcome.

i tried something to do the same kind of thing and it looked like crap. but if bought a euro braced tank you could run 2 mh over center and i think it would ok.

How about installing both 400 watters, but having each on a different on/off cycle?
You could run one for say 10 hours and the other for 3 hours during tank watching time, like after work?

Or how about alternating between the two? Right bulb on for 2 hours, left bulb on for 2 hours off...repeat.

You might want to consider selling or trading your 400w SE pendants for 250w DE. According to Sanjay the 250w DE throw off almost as much light as the 400w SE.

MartyM said:
How about installing both 400 watters, but having each on a different on/off cycle?
You could run one for say 10 hours and the other for 3 hours during tank watching time, like after work?

Or how about alternating between the two? Right bulb on for 2 hours, left bulb on for 2 hours off...repeat.

Good idea for saving electicity but i would think this would be stressful to most corals due an unatural light cycle

newreefer03 said:
You might want to consider selling or trading your 400w SE pendants for 250w DE. According to Sanjay the 250w DE throw off almost as much light as the 400w SE.

I agree certain combinations of bulbs and ballasts with 250 watt DE come close to some combinations of 400 watt se but IMO a 250 DE is not close to a well matched 400 watt se,the par values in Sanjays testing show this.

I only run 2 175's over my 150 (each end), but I supplement it with 2 96W pc's over the middle. Seems to be more than enough light for all corals in my tank including acroporas. So if saving $$ on electricity is your concern, I think you may find someone willing to trade.

Back