Mounting Putty Question

sdesi2005

Non-member
What type of putty are you using to mount your frags to your rockwork? I use the super glue gel to mount the frag to a piece of rubble or disk, but what do you use to mount the rubble to the rest of your rock?

You can use epoxy putty. But it's kind of a pain. Another thing to try, is put a big gob of super glue gel on the bottom of the rubble or frag, allow it to air-dry for a minute, so it skins-over. Then gently lower it into the water, and mush the glue-bubble into the rockwork where you want to stick the frag. This works pretty well with the really thick gel.

Nate

You can't really paint all epoxy with one brush. Some can be frustrating to work with and results are marginal at best.
I've been using the AquaScape by deltec and it's the only one I've ever used that dries hard, works well under water, does not make your skimmer go nuts and is the exact color match of coralline.
Of course like everything in this hobby/life you get what you pay for and it's a bit more expensive (but not bad). Well worth it when you figure in time and frustration.

I agree with Marc. I also use the Aquascape. The only thing that I have found to be helpful sometimes is to have some drinking straws available to you while you are putting things in place. It does not harden instantly, so use a straw to prop it for a few. Works like a charm, and you don't run the risk of getting your fingers stuck together or to your frag!!!

ive never tried deltc's putty, but ive tryed otheres and hate the stuff. it never sticks right. I have been useing strictly superglue on everything

Back