Moving office tank home....I have a few ???

danb73

Non-member
I have a 20 gallon long reef at work and would like to slowly over time move everything to a 30 breeder at the house. My question is if I get the new system set up and running at home and add new sand should I let it run for a bit or would it be a good idea to move some live rock and sand from the work tank right away and also maybe some filter media to establish bacteria. Also, should I put any livestock in it at that point. I have the luxury of taking it slow and want to make sure I do it right. My current tank also has fairly high nitrates and phosphates so I’m wanting to start with all new water if that’s an option. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I’d move the rock but not the sand. Also bring some water home if you can. Maybe like a 5 gallon bucket full

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply..... would it be best to try to do it all at once or establish the tank at home first.

I agree. New sand (or bare bottom).

Take as much of the water and live rock at once.

I had moved a 25 gallon from school to home a couple times. Moved everything at once and it was fine (crushed coral substrate though).

I would do it at once or do a 10 gallon water change to seed the new tank. Bring rock and coral. And bring fish the next day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All at once, live rock and livestock only. Chuck sand and old water. Have a small QT to hold livestock for a few hours, fill the QT with old tank water before disturbing anything, and fill transport buckets. Then catch fish, then move liverock to transport buckets.already have the new tank filled with SW. drain some out, aquascape, add sand, let it settle then add livestock. Just moved my IM40 into a new red Sea reefer 250 last weekend, no losses but that was an in-house move.

The easiest and safest thing to do would be to replace the sand. That being said, I don't think it's necessary. I've moved tanks numerous times (thankfully none in the last four years) and I've always kept the sand without any issues. I moved the tank with all of the water removed and the sand left in the bottom.

You certainly could have a problem, but I don't think the risk is meaningful. If you have a thin layer of sand (i.e. not a deep sand bed), it's even less of a risk.

Regardless, I'm not sure there is any reason to actually get new sand at all - unless it's become unattractive and you can't clean it (visually). You can just sanitize the existing sand and put it back in later.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back