Moving - what have you all done during this fiasco?

jkobel

Non-member
Hi all, first post here tho been creeping for a while.

I'm getting ready to sell my house and move and need to break down my tank. LFS won't take my critters because they don't want to be responsible for them.

Because I won't be ready to set a new tank back up for a while what are my options?

Looking for any and all feedback/input.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
You might be able to find some reefers here that might be willing to host some livestock for a while. I would offer but I'm on the south shore. Best of luck with the move.

If you join the club ($20 a year tax write off donation) you can sell things in the marketplace but non member's are not allowed to sell on the forums it's against the rules...

If any mention of selling,buying is discussed this Thread will be deleted.
This is for "options" not "purchasing".

Are you able to set up a temporary tank? You can put stuff in a plastic container with some basic flow, heat, and light and it will survive just fine. I had my stuff like that after a move for a couple months.

Thanks, everyone. I think it's likely that we will be moving into somewhere temporary before the final move so a temp scenario in buckets isn't really feasible or at least not predictable. Maybe I'll give the marketplace a try.

Those corals are too big for my tank unfortunately but if you join as a paid member you could easily sell that. What are the two fish?

How big is tank. Were are you moving to. Got space but you gotta get it here, I'll help once in door. Moving it sucks. Simple tear down and move. If ya need help just shout out. In hooksett.

Thanks, everyone. I think it's likely that we will be moving into somewhere temporary before the final move so a temp scenario in buckets isn't really feasible or at least not predictable. Maybe I'll give the marketplace a try.

I think you have answered your own question. If you're moving into your next destination, a 75gallons isn't all that difficult to manage. But if you're making a pitstop and don't have any timeframe of how long that pitstop will take, it's best to sell the livestock and the tank but keep the core equipment like skimmer, lights, pumps, heaters, etc..
Having your livestock with someone else is a real burden on the person holding it.

I'm currently in the middle of a move. Main tank is a reefer 350, spare is a Innovative marine 50 EXT. I'm going to be moving the tank in stages.
Tonight, I plan on bring the temp tank up, filling it up w/20 gallons of new water, heater and power head.
This weekend, I will add 40 gallons "old" tank water, my rock and live stock.
Early next week, I will get my apex set up, skimmer, and reactors online.
Eventually, when we do our "final" move from the house, I'll bring the Reefer over

When we bought our house my wife and I did the move last thing. I got a bunch of water tight bins, broke it the system down to the basics, livestock, rock, and water. in bins. Take it slow and you will be fine.

Back