MP10 on 1/2" thick glass opinion anyone???

tran

Non-member
Hi,

Has anyone ever tried to use the MP10 on 1/2" thick glass?
I like to get one MP power head for my tank. The mp40 is just way out of reach for me. Not sure the MP10 can work on a 1/2" thick glass. Tank is deep blue 57g rimless and the glass is 1/2 inches thick. The spec of the Mp10 says it can do max of just 3/8 thick

Thanks

Tran

Last edited:
best way is getting an mp20 if u have any luck finding them....they are rare now......i just sold my last 2........at the price of an mp10......

On my 1/2" glass it works fine. I had the same concerns as you but I am glad I didn't get the MP40 just so I could turn it all the way down.

I had 2 on a 60g cube and they held fine. You must use the sticky pad with the wire tie to hold incase it gets hit.

Has anyone ever tried to use the MP10 on 1/2" thick glass? The spec of the Mp10 says it can do max of just 3/8 thick

Tran

U answered ur own question... they are not made to be used on 1/2" glass... as clearly stated by the manufacturer...

I want to update this to help those who have doubts the Votech mp10 on 1/2" glass.

So after waiting for over a month and did not see anyone have a used mp40 for sale. I crossed fingers and decided to pick up a used mp10 the other day. The mp10 works just fine on my 1/2" glass tank made by deep blue without the spacer. Even running at 100% full speed (all modes) and it works fine on my tank. I am not sure whether this thing work on every 1/2" glass tank but it works fine on my tank.

Tran

Glad it worked out. The manufacturers often give themselves extra tolerance around maximum clearance/capacity, etc. I once mistakenly drove down Storrow Drive in a UHaul. I am making up the numbers here, but the magnitude is pretty close. The truck said it needed clearance of like 13', while the bridge said 11'. I drove up slowly, and there was around 2' of actual clearance between the 13' truck and the 11' bridge. A difference of basically four feet. That's quite a bit of leeway.

My MP10 didn't grab too well on my 60 cube with 5/16" glass. I think 3/8" is the max and 1/2" won't work.

My MP10 didn't grab too well on my 60 cube with 5/16" glass. I think 3/8" is the max and 1/2" won't work.

Do you have Starfire glass? My tank is 1/2" thick Starfire and it works fine. I wonder if that has anything to do with it? It may also be the case that the magnets have slight differences in strength depending on where they are sourced from for each production run.

while I did not have any problem using the MP10 on the 7/16" tank made by Deep Blue, That is 1/16 thicker than the stated max for the MP10
However, my MP10 dont work it falls right off when use it on 1/2" thick glass tank made by Glasscages.

I have had an MP10 on my 180 with 3/4 in glass for 5 months now and it stays even on high. The magnetic hold is not strong but it has been working fine.

Back