mp10ES

JohnnyD88

Non-member
I was thinking of buying a mp10es and add two powehead on my 90 gallon reef tank. You guy think one mp10 is good enogh for 90g ? Thank you

In a tank that size I would definately go with a MP40.

i would add a pump in there with the mp10 no a big one but not to small. i would go with the mp40 then that way it would be the only pump in the tank

What are you going for with this system? If you want a super high flow SPS dominated tank a pair of MP40 would be real nice. If you want mild flow for mostly LPS then maybe one MP40, or possibly even a little MP10.

Personally I run a MP40 (at about 50-60%) and a maxi mod in my 57 gal which is mostly leathers with a few montiporas. It's nice to not need to have the MP40 cranked all the time...

I have a single mp40 on ones side of my 92corner and a koralia evo 1400 on the other just to keep flow across the bottom of the rocks going works great, if i dial it up all the way its way way too much flow, love it

Yeah, I think an MP10 wouldn't be enough for a 90. FWIW, I run an MP40, an MP10, and a Tunze 6055 on a 55 gallon. Both the Vortechs are running at 100% but I'm also running a mainly SPS tank.

MP10 in my 40 breeder at 100% did not even be able to make a half inch wave.
A MP40 alone is rocking the water in a 75 gallon.
So I wii go with MP40.

i run 2 mp10 and 2 tunze 6045 with a flow excelerater on the return in a 55,crank up at 100% in a very mix reef.not too impress with the mp10.I say a mp40 and 1 mp10 for a 90.If i was getting a new powerhead,i would go with 2 tunze 6105.Imo the vortech is overated.

I used a mp10 on my 90....with 3 other powerheads. Great pump, but not nearly enough on anything over 40g. Running vortech pumps on 100%= noise
That being said, if you can get one cheap enough, go for it, and use other powerheads too

+1 for the tunze. I had the mp10 and overlooked its performance because I was in love with all the features. Im running a modded 6025 now and it puts out crazy flow, added two koralias on my reef keeper too and my tank has some amazing random flow, bare bottom and keeping any debris from settling

I have 2 MP10Ws in my 72G bow. Not enough flow to make a significant wave. But I can't say it's weak or not enough flow either. I run them on opposite sides of the tank in Anti-Sync on Lagoon mode @85%.

If you don't line up the wet/dry side correctly it gets noisy. I have found the "sweet" spot, so my run virtually noise-less unless I crank it up to 100% when I hear a whindy-machinery high pitched sound. Which I don't mind.

But I have to be honest, I have thought of swapping one of them for a MP40W. I think 2 MP40 would be an overkill (as you would probably run them at less than 50-60% all the time) in a tank like mine or maybe even a 90G. You also have to take in consideration the type of substrate and your aquascape. I think that influences a lot how you run these puppies...

If your goal is to make a wave, for the cost of a MP40, it is better to go with a Tunze wavebox nano. the wave box nano can rock a tank up to 90 gallon. Also, the wavebox costs $120 less than a MP40.

Back