my anemone just "spawned"

Valexia

livingroom naturalist
i know there are going to be a millllllion funny lines after this but i really need a few answers.

My H. crispa is officially a male tonight.."he" decided to "smoke" my tank.

Corals are open, fish are fine, tank is cloudy/milky, after a five percent water change, which i am planning on repeating shortly. I am also running carbon.
skimmer is out of control right now.

SO anyone have any experiences with this? is it rare? does anyone need a "male Heteractis Crispa????

How often can i expect this "surprise". It ruined my movie...although my hubby thot it was funny.

is anemone sperm toxic?

Trust me it isn't pooping....its a much worse mess...i am 100% sure this is what it was doing....
He's sleeping...(typical) and fine now.

haaa! thanks melody
don't know what got him all "frisky" but what a mess...
water changes for me yey

My H. Crispa has done it few times. Read the thread Melody recommends(Melody's right on top of things!)

It really is awesome to watch. I think it means it likes your system. But what a mess.
I ended up doing 50% WC's. Try to keep the skimmer going and the cup cleaned out.
Not only to remove the stuff, but I think you'll need the airation too.

Patrick

shoeib, nope, and i just started using timers. Its been in captivity for two years, was a typical bleached out little thing at a store, my friend had it in his tank for over a year and then passed it to me back in June. I feed it, tended it, and its happily huge in there...takes up the back of the 46 gallon its in, and its so dramatic, i likely will sacrifice that tank to him.

I just want to know if there is any way to determine when and how often this is going to happen, I am on my way to changing 50% I did 25 last night, skimmer is going crazy and doing more this am.

The poor clam burped out some of the anemone stuff too last night, he must have been miserable.

All in all its a "dirty tank" with low light. 150wat hqi and a 55watt pc actinic.
The lights are on a 9 hour schedule.
(i do leave them on later now and then because this is the tank my clowns spawn in.)

thanks for the link montec24, i did a 50% change just to be sure and will continue with 10% for a few more days just to cover. Everyone looks good...so i am going to cross my fingers.

I wonder how often they will do this..what a mess, my tank is small too, i would have thought the whole thing would have killed it all.

Thanks so much for your experience!

Valexia, the 3 times my H. Crispa spawned (I think mine is male too) it was within a month of being a year apart. I'm thinking it's a yearly event if your tank is stable.

Mine hasn't spawned in two years but i've moved it from tank to tank then we moved into a new house. Not too much stability there.

Hope this helps, Patrick

I have a RBTA in my display tank at the store. He has "shown my tank some love" 2 times since he has been in there. I did nothing, no water changes, no carbon or anyhting. it cleared by the next morning (possibly sooner we close at 8pm so i dont know)

oh gosh, i think its gonna "do it" again tonight....have mercy...
Its such a mess in the small tank...to give you an idea, heres a tank shot... :mad:

Attachments

• IMG_1518.jpg
    IMG_1518.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 155
Yeah, mine did it two nights in a row. Everything in my tank looks great, other than the two fish that died so maybe the spawning had nothing to do with it. The corals seemed to love it. Hope it works out for yah.

Back