My corals stoped growing!!!! I need help/advise !!!

The zoo's,star polyps and the clove polyps slowly disappeared and the button polyps stopped growing and the froagspawn wont bloom like before,every once in a wile he will bloom...the xenia also stopped growing and pulses very slowly...
I keep thinking that something is in the water that i cant identify ...i dont have a iron test kit...or a copper one...

Hmmm I am thinking that in addition to salinity, that pH may be your problem. I have heard that xenia will stop pulsing when the pH gets below 8.1 or 8.2.

I have also seen zoas recede under low salinity and pH conditions. Typically zoa's like higher pH and dkH as well as a salinity around 1.025.

How are you measuring SG? 1.022 is too low for corals to stay happy, and if your using a swing arm type hydromter they tend to creep farther and farther away from being accurate with time. (ie, if your using a swing arm, it may be even lower than you think).

Also, what is this "bio-filter"? Most bio-filters are actually more of a problem than a benifit on reef tanks.

As far as the dosing and testing of the alk level, you should be adding supplements based on test results, not just on a regular schedule or by following the directions on the bottle. Also, you should be using seperate additives for Ca and alk. "reef complete" is a Ca addative and is not raising the alk.

What brand of salt are you using? And are you dosing any other addatives?
I do use a swing arm and i will by a new one and compere to see if the one i have is not measuring the salinity properly.I use 4 stage "bio" filter with a built in sterilizer,it has bio ceramic rings,Purigen media and the rowa phos because i had a bad phosphate problem and the rowa phos helped ....this helps keep my nitrates down to zero.
As far as salt mix i use reef crystals.
Thanks for the advice...

Back