My reef is dying and murphy's law is now in full effect

dockmasterjc

Non-member
I have been having light issues and my corals did not do too well. First my bulbs went. Got some replacements and now my ballasts failed. I ordered 2 new workhorse ballasts for a 4x39w t5ho current fixture and just realized the ballasts in the fixture are 120volt and the ones I ordered are 277! I did not have many corals, but now they are really pissed and most have died or are dying! Do I have to return the 277 for the 120 or can I make it work before my whole tank is done. Any help would be appreciated!:(

never heard of 277...are you sure? Workhorse ballast (5 or 7) are 120v...I'm guessing if you ordered 2, you got 2 workhorse 5s for 4 39w T5s?

Yeah, I got 2 workhorse 5's but they are 277volts.
I think I will return these for the 120volt ones. My center brace also let go on my tank, so I need to break down and fix/move the tank anyway. Hopefully my fish will survive, the corals are RIP.

Bummer, is it too late to save any of them?
Maybe someone in your area has some lighting you could borrow for a while?

The fish will survive if you get the dead corals out and make sure you do not get an ammonia spike.
Water change will help here.

if you were closer to the area, I would lend you a light.....

how long have they been in the dark?

Well I think it's time to break everything down and go to a FOWLR setup(tears coming down my face). All I have left is some paly's and kenya tree that I will try get some credit at the LFS before they meet Davy Jones too. I don't the trust the tank w/o the center brace and am also in the middle of some big home renovations , so to make life easier I was thinking going small and storing the rest of live rock till I am ready. I am really going to miss this tank, but my wife say's that when the house is finished, we can get a BIGGER tank! At least I have something to look forward to! Thanks everyone for your input and advice.
Jeff

Back