My tank kills float switches???

abwalker

Non-member
Okay, you may all think I'm crazy, but my tank has "killed" two liquid level float switches in the last week. The second stopped functioning over the first night I put it in.

They look like this: http://www.drillspot.com/products/75034/Madison_M8000_Liquid_Level_Switch
37039_300.jpg

I wire them to an extension cord so that they control an outlet.

The first one ran in my tank for almost 2 years. I bought an Aquacontroller 3 a couple weeks ago and thought I would hook my aqualifter (kalk) up and control it with the pH. I hooked the float switch to the aquacontroller's DC8 and the pump the the float switch's outlet. That way, the pump would dose until either the pH reached 8.25 or the sump volume exceeded the desired level.

(I piggy-back a light bulb with my aqualifter so the DC8 can turn it off, if that matters)

The first day my time tested float stopped functioning. I bought some new switches and hooked it up again last night, tested it and it worked. I woke up this morning to the float submerged (no overflow, phew!) and seemingly dead. When I move the float up and down, I can't hear the faint click that I hear from a new one.

What would do this? The inner works of the floats seem to be sealed, and I know my old switch was fully submerged at least weekly for years (waterchanges).

Could stray voltage do this? We are thinking of getting one of those grounding probes-- are there good ones out there?

Any other ideas? I want to double these up for safety, but I don't want to fry my last two. Let me know if I can provide any other information-- I couldn't be the only one with this problem!

Thanks,
Abby

Abby -

Are you running the AC power through the float switch? It's unclear from your description exactly how you have things wired up. I it is running through the float switch, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if that smoked it. I don't think it is designed for that level of voltage/current...

Eric

Those are meant to connect to a relay with low voltage. Then pass the higher voltage through the relay. You're lucky you didn't light that puppy up!

Back