My War with Dinos is Over (Hopefully)

Mike Lemming

BRS Member
Hey guys! I just wanted to share my excitement with you all!
I currently have a 60’ish total water volume reef tank (3'x2'x20") and for the last 4+ months, I have been dealing with Dino’s.

At first, I didn’t realize it was Dino’s and did 4 or 5 consecutive 20g water changes hoping it would go away. It didn’t.
Dino1.png

I probably should have went the route of identifying which Dino’s I had with a microscope but, I ended up adding a 36 watt UV sterilizer. The Dino’s I had did not disappear at night like most people online said there’s did but, I tried UV anyway. This ultimately did nothing.
Dino3.png

I then researched a lot more and decided to raise my nutrients and dose bacteria. I was really patient with this and figured my tank only being 9 months old, maybe it was a maturity thing.
Raising my nutrients didn’t do much other than bringing on a bunch of hair algae. Based on a Salifert test kit, my nitrates were around 50. For some reason I was having a hard time raising my phosphates but, the last time I tested with a Hanna checker, they were around .06.
Dino4.png

Dino5.png

Dino6.png

I even tried changing my filter pad every morning and syphoning the sand bed a couple times a week but in the end, they just returned the next day.
Finally, I decided to do a black out. Not only did I turn my lights off entirely, I cut out card board and completely covered the glass.

TankWrap2.jpeg

I gave it a little over 3 days without touching the tank. The only thing I did was change the filter pad on day 2. I left everything running including my skimmer and UV.
Today I came home, took the cardboard off, EVERYTHING IS GONE!!!
Dinos are nowhere to be found and the green hair algae is gone as well! The few corals that I currently have don't seem to be bothered other than a little loss of coloration. The fish even seemed happy and excited to have the light back, swimming back and forth enjoying life.
AfterTank.jpeg

Clean1.jpeg

Clean2.jpeg

I don't think I've seen my sanded this clean since I started the tank up!

I turned my lights back on to only 20% with a 60 day ramp up and then did a 20g water change to lower nutrients (although I haven't bothered to test just yet) but, will do in the next day or two.
Since it's only been an hour since the water change, I don't know if the Dino's are gone for good or not but, I will continue my maintenance and keep an eye out.
I sure hope that I won this battle and never to have to deal with it again. Only time will tell..
Fingers crossed!
-Mike

Attachments

• TankWrap1.jpeg
    TankWrap1.jpeg
    49.1 KB · Views: 58
You may need to do it again, as a final blow type thing but that’s def the way to do it. Keep dosing the microbacter (or similar)

how did the blackout affect fish/coral? I think I’m gonna be doing this myself as I got a case of dinos

Which strain of Dino’s did you have? Different treatments are taylored for different strains , and I hope you got it beat but…… I’ve seen plenty of people try this and it came back only harder. I assume you went on Macks Dinoflagellates support group? Get your pod population up too they eat most types

Which strain of Dino’s did you have? Different treatments are taylored for different strains , and I hope you got it beat but…… I’ve seen plenty of people try this and it came back only harder. I assume you went on Macks Dinoflagellates support group? Get your pod population up too they eat most types
Hoping the pods and phytoplankton will help me out with my battle , been doing a lot of manual removal as well

how did the blackout affect fish/coral? I think I’m gonna be doing this myself as I got a case of dinos
The blackout didn't effect them at all. I didn't feed either for those 3 days and once I took the cardboard off, everything looked great!

I was on the fence about ordering a microscope. I tried a few different methods that are proven to work but, none of them did until I did the blackout. The tank was stocked with pods which didn't seem to do anything either..

how is the tank looking now? any more dino still in the tank?
I broke down that tank in late February in preparation for my 125 build. I had the rocks in a 100g trough until I set the new tank up last month. They rocks are doing good and haven't seen any sign of Dinos!

The blackout didn't effect them at all. I didn't feed either for those 3 days and once I took the cardboard off, everything looked great!
Awesome glad to hear ! I’ve been doing a lot of manual removal and it seems to be getting there. Have pods and plankton coming but I may do the blackout just for an extra step cause I really don’t wanna drop a fortune a UV setup

Awesome glad to hear ! I’ve been doing a lot of manual removal and it seems to be getting there. Have pods and plankton coming but I may do the blackout just for an extra step cause I really don’t wanna drop a fortune a UV setup
I don't like giving out advice like this but in my opinion, brackouts work wonders. I guess it would depend on which strain of dinos that you have but, it's worth a shot!

I don't like giving out advice like this but in my opinion, brackouts work wonders. I guess it would depend on which strain of dinos that you have but, it's worth a shot!
Haha totally understandable. Just shut the lights off so we’ll see how it turns out. Definitely think I’m gonna be using the cardboard too

Haha totally understandable. Just shut the lights off so we’ll see how it turns out. Definitely think I’m gonna be using the cardboard too
I think the cardboard is best practice but, not entirely necessary. I had a little 20 gallon tank running that didn't have any livestock in it for a while. I I turned the lights off for a while because they weren't needed and it ended up clearing that tank as well, just not having the light on. I think the cardboard is better though..

I think the cardboard is best practice but, not entirely necessary. I had a little 20 gallon tank running that didn't have any livestock in it for a while. I I turned the lights off for a while because they weren't needed and it ended up clearing that tank as well, just not having the light on. I think the cardboard is better though..
Sweet good to know ! Thank you again for the info I’ll let you know how this goes !

Well after a full 3 day blackout , some mb7 and neonitro dosing and plenty of siphoning I think I may have a slight handle on the Dino’s not saying I’m fully clear yet but feel like I’m in a good direction , still have some rock work to clean but we’re getting there

Attachments

• IMG_6188.jpeg
    IMG_6188.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_6187.jpeg
    IMG_6187.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 60
Well after a full 3 day blackout , some mb7 and neonitro dosing and plenty of siphoning I think I may have a slight handle on the Dino’s not saying I’m fully clear yet but feel like I’m in a good direction , still have some rock work to clean but we’re getting there
LETS GOOOO!!!!!!

Back