Nano cube lighting question

CoralJunkie

John
BRS Member
I was interested in upgrading the lighting in my jbj 28 gallon cube, I am interested in buying an ai hydra from a member but I don't want to remove the hood, was wondering if I modded the hood and ran the light at a low intensity if it would be ok? Thanks

I have the same tank. I was asking this question before i bought the tank and everyone I talked to said it wasn't possible with the hood on, it would create too much heat. I also don't think the light spread would cover the whole tank because its so close. I'm going with the dimmable rapid led kit.

It is possible and the heat wasn't and issue. I'll have to go back through my pics and show you

Yeah I remember slightly how 22 had his setup but I'm not sure, also I'm worried about the spread, I don't want it to be a spotlight, and I definitely don't wanna go with a kit, it would be great if you could find pics

I traced the sol fixture right behind the feeding lid. I used a dremel to cut out the section. Slide the light fixture half in. I left the top half out so the fan could breath well. Worked perfect.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386465007.405356.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1386465014.738467.jpg
Questions let me know.

I run a machine shop at a lighting company as well as do custom engineering there. That heat sink is a Mohawk style. The one you have pictured 22engin. I run all kinds of versions of those on my cncs to mount Cree, Xicato, osram, Samsung, etc. LED boards. In our case we mount the assembled heat sinks in lighting fixtures that go in companies world wide.

The point I am getting at is if you need a hand modding this let me know and I got you covered.

Over heating is a common failure point to both the fixture and the tank itself. A few. Vent holes in the hood itself may help as well.

It was a snug fit but I used some black silicone to make sure. A few vent holes is a good idea. When you gut the hood you can take out the spot for the light switches and that will give you a couple. The spread was fine. Kept all types of coral in mine. I'll get some pics of that. They are on my computer.

It was a snug fit but I used some black silicone to make sure. A few vent holes is a good idea. When you gut the hood you can take out the spot for the light switches and that will give you a couple. The spread was fine. Kept all types of coral in mine. I'll get some pics of that. They are on my computer.

Awesome improvising 22engine. I like it. Another perfect thing with a nano even if the light isn't that absolute best one in the world, you don't have to worry about needing it to travel so far to reach the sand bed. If you can hit a PAR rating of 90 - 120 on your sand bed then I think it's more then sufficient.

With a 75 gal or so it takes a bit to get that rating at the bottom.... But with your nano coraljunkie and 22engines mod it's going to thrive!

that's awesome thank you, luckily the jbj has 4 vent holes and 2 of them have small fans but I think they run off the original led fixture

I have seen a mod on nano-reef where a radion was places in the hood...it is definitely doable and heat shouldn't be too much of a concern as long as the top isn't completely sealed. You'll want fresh air getting to the fixtures fans...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back