Natural Seawater

Twice a year I add some including a little bit of mud to add some life to my tank. Ironically I have to drip acclimate the mud and water to avoid shocking the included bugs/life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

I'd be Leary of introducing cold water species into a warm water environment. You could get a bloom or worse yet an overpopulation of some pest in warmer conditions.
I had used NSW when I first started but you have to strain & add salt anyway, was too much of a bother.

I used NSW (was out my back door at the time) when I had a GOM tank. Was great for that, but was an experiment every time I added water. Given some of the things I accidentally brought in I would never threaten my reef with it. I remember one time I got a bucket full of green crab larvae by accident. That was sweet about 3 weeks later when my tank looked like it had lice. Hilarity ensured as you might imagine.

About 5yrs ago I got water and sand from Salisbury beach, and started a 45gl tank and I was perfect less than a week later, running just a hangon skimmer, than a few months ago I did the same minus the sand and my tank was like a septic tank for about 1 month, I guess it's the luck of the draw and where and when you get it.

Back