need a source for Titanium tubing

rtc_reefer

Non-member
I need some type of heat exchanger for my DIY chiller. I plan to use an old water fountain chiller hooked up with a small inline pump that pumps chilled water through 1/4 inch tubing into the sump - recirculating. With this design in mind, I need the sump-heat exchanger material. Cannot be copper tubing... could be SS right? But if I am going to do it, I wish to do it correctly, so where might I get some 1/4 titanium tubing? maybe 3 - 4 feet of it?

Expensive

Hey Rick,

That is going to be expensive. Go to www.mcmaster.com and enter this number into the search

89835K71

.25" Outside Dia, 3' long, $105.60

I'll keep my eyes open for some that is cheaper.

Brian

also remember you can not bend titanium tubing with out breaking the tube. this stuff does not bend at all.my experience.

Alternatives

Cheetos said:
How about aluminum tubing instead of titanium? Or would that be aluminium? :D

Ok... $105 will break the budget for this thing. Aluminum... Any opinions on this? Is is safe? What about SS? I think that i can get that from a plumbing specialty supply correct? I think that they use it for Natural Gas hookups...

hey rtc... post pics sounds like an excellent diy for smaller tanks.......I'd be very interested in this and the results as well...

Cheetos said:
How about aluminum tubing instead of titanium? Or would that be aluminium? :D

stupid idea. Aluminum is not reef safe.

rtc_reefer said:
Ok... $105 will break the budget for this thing. Aluminum... Any opinions on this? Is is safe? What about SS? I think that i can get that from a plumbing specialty supply correct? I think that they use it for Natural Gas hookups...

dont think SS will easily bend the way you want.

Last edited:
i think that SS will bend for ya but you won't want to use any that is used for gas lines....i don't think it's the correct grade of SS....you'll have to check, it's either a 300 series or 400 series SS that you'll need...some one should know this....one is much more expensive than the other, but it will more than likely be the one you want....maybe....still on the fence about SS anyway...why not a plastic or rubber tubing?

Will plastic conduct the heat or insulate it. Plastic would be the safest bet. Maybe I could just use a 50 foot coil and dunk that into the sump. That should do it. and cheap to boot! Once I get the sump to the basement where it belongs, I'll begin this project as well. Since summer is almost here, It'll be a while. Thanks.

Theres a pretty good thread in RC's DIY forum about this sort of thing. They figured out that they'd get the same heat exchange effect from somethign like 150 ft of rubber tubing as from 18" of titanium coil. I think the guy was saying you could get titanium for like $40 in 3 foot segments, but I dont remember exactly. You may want to check over there.

Stainless should do the job with no problem, but don't skimp and buy the cheapest just because it's labeled stainless. look for 316 stainless, it's very common and relatively cheap (at least compared to Ti), and will last forever. it's also easy to bend, but i would recommend filling the tube with sand before you bend it, it helps to prevent buckling of the tube as you're bending it.

check mcmaster or any plumbing supply

400 series stainless will not work. Either 304 or 316 stainless tubing will work though, and it'll bend just fine. These are quite common for a variety of applications, so you should be able to find it. You could probably even go to a local metal yard and get some sizes of it.

Nate

Great! I'll look for the 304 or the 316 SS tubing I have a buddy in metal fab who may be able to help out.
Thank you. I'l post pics once I get this project underway.

Boating always seems to get in the way!

If looking for titanium Presidents titanium in Hanson MA has what you need they like the little DIY guys too. To get a nice bend I would definately use a tubing bender.

Last edited:
Back