need fowlr help (flow and filtration)

nitrofish

reefing again!
I have a tank (90 gallon extra tall) id like to make into a fish only with live rock. I know it will need some good flow but I don't have enough experience to figure out how much. filtration is the other issue, I don't have room for a sump because the stand is accually my counter top (I keep spoons,knives,and forks in my stand haha).
what should I do? is the live rock enough or should I use a hang on filter? I may be able to put a small refugium above the tank but im guessing a 20 long would be as big as I can squeze.

some day I would like to possibly convert this tank to a zoanthid only tank, but not anytime soon.

Jeff, I would guess that putting a canister filter, or a HOB Aquaclear-type filter on the tank would increase your potential bioload. But with a light load you'd be ok with live rock and a couple small powerheads, in my estimation.

What kind of fish are you planning?

I think ill be able to do an above tank refugium, it will be tight, but I think I can make it work.

a hang on skimmer may be a problem, but that I think I can figure out also.

I good skimmer with a FOwLR would be a good choice. I had a 60g hex & the skimmer really helped. Funny thing - a clam also helped - cleaned up the "green" water - algae that was growing on the glass went away
Maybe just coincidence..?

nitrofish said:
I think ill be able to do an above tank refugium, it will be tight, but I think I can make it work.

a hang on skimmer may be a problem, but that I think I can figure out also.

You can always hang a skimmer on a small compartment of your refugium if that works better. Pump water up to the left side of the fuge, have the skimmer suction in that compartment, then water goes over a baffle into the fuge, and the skimmer outputs into the fuge (macro will help filter out bubbles from the skimmer) then a bulkhead can spill from the fuge down to the display.

NateHanson said:
You can always hang a skimmer on a small compartment of your refugium if that works better. Pump water up to the left side of the fuge, have the skimmer suction in that compartment, then water goes over a baffle into the fuge, and the skimmer outputs into the fuge (macro will help filter out bubbles from the skimmer) then a bulkhead can spill from the fuge down to the display.

what are the baffles for?I ask someone about it and they said I don't need them.

I just suggested a baffle between the skimmer suction section and the fuge area. I would worry the skimmer would skim out microfauna you want in the fuge. Also the algae would keep getting sucked into the pump.

Back