need some ideas

paine43

Non-member
so i'm building a new stand for my 40gallon, in which i would like to put a sump under it. as i was drawing up the plans last night i'm not going to have very much room under the tank, only about 12in wide if i put the corner braces mounted on the sides. i wanted to put a 20gallon sump under it, but the thing is 20 gallons all come in 12in wide which the center brace would be in the way of. so should i build a custom tank or my other idea was to get 2 10 gallon tanks get them drilled and set up something that way? :confused:

you could build up and around the tank .. and make the stand deeper than the tank .. flush on the front but goes back further ...

had some time .. something like this .. not as deep though .. this is just a rough sketch

Attachments

• design.jpg
    design.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 405
well the two 10 gallons under the tanks are out anyways as both together are to long to fit.

What do you mean about corner braces and center brace getting in the way under your stand?

Space in my stand is about 14" x30" under my 65g, with a center brace on the front and back (between the doors), but I fit a 15g (12x24) by placing it through the top of the stand before placing the tank on. Not sure if that's the problem your having though.

For what it's worth, I don't think a 40g (that's 3 feet right?) needs a center support in the middle of the front and back horizontal beam. If you make those beams beefy enough (especially if you use a real wood like poplar instead of HD 2x4s) then they'll have no problem giving you an open front without a vertical support in the way.

I'm a furniture designer, so if you want to run your plans by me, I might be able to give you some advice. Also there are a few people here who have experience building a number of tank stands, and they could probably be helpful as well.

Finally, if you decide you want to make a sump, I don't think you'd have trouble. If you have the equipment to build the stand, you probably have everything you need for a sump (especially if you have a jointer). Only problem is that materials arent' cheap.

ill try to get my plans up online tonight for you to check out. i don't have any equipment at my house to do this stand i have to have my brother cut it all the wood at his house then i was going to build it at mine.

Back