Non-member
i need to find magnesium chloride
does anyone one have some or know where i can pick some up
thanks

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

i ordered it from there yesterday
But i need to add mag. Now its at 1050 and didn't want to wait a week

Road Runner Pet Friendly Ice Melt from HD and Lowe's. Bought 2 bags today from HD in North Kingstown, RI.

Road Runner Pet Friendly Ice Melt from HD and Lowe's. Bought 2 bags today from HD in North Kingstown, RI.

Have you used this before?
I saw a few mixed reviews on it so i wasn't 100% sure on using it.

I heard that Dow only makes Dowflake Xtra and no longer makes regular Dowflake. Be careful ...I don't think Dowflake Xtra is good for the aquarium.

The road runner pet friendly ice melt has numerous positive threads on RC. I have not seen any "mixed reviews".

I heard that Dow only makes Dowflake Xtra and no longer makes regular Dowflake. Be careful ...I don't think Dowflake Xtra is good for the aquarium.

DowFlake is used as calcium suppliment, he is looking for magnesium. As mentioned you want MAGflake not Dowflake.

you can use epson salt to increase mag...as long as that is not your main mag supplement, it is fine to get your parameters back in check

you can use epson salt to increase mag...as long as that is not your main mag supplement, it is fine to get your parameters back in check

+1, the DIY recipe most use is a mix of MAGFlake (magnesium chloride) and Epsom Salt (Magnesium Sulfate). For an occasional adjustment using just one or the other is not going to skew things too much.

Can i use mag pellets??

Yup, mag pellets work fine. IIRC they might be slightly stronger by weight, but I'll try to find the reference in randys' article.

Sent from my dumb computer

Edit, adding;
This quote
"The recipe above is based on the MAG Flake's bulk density supplied by the manufacturer. They also sell a pelletized product, which may be OK to use, but probably has a slightly different bulk density (they do not provide the bulk density for that to my knowledge). Exact values for the magnesium part are less important than for the other parts, and when using pellets I recommend just following the directions stated here for flakes, unless better information becomes available in the future."

Comes from this article;
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php#16

I've been using the magpellets for yrs following the same recipe as for mag pellets and the results I have seen have always been very close to that expected based on the reef chemistry calculator. (ie, I calculate the dose of DIY mg to make a desired correction on a tested value, add the dose, then re-test and get numbers very close to the change I was looking for)

Last edited by a moderator:
So i believe i did this right :
7 1/4 cups mag. Chloride
3/4 cup mag. Sulfate
Makes 1 gal.
Sound right ?

Back