New Aquascape. Can I get opinions?

smcnally

Tankless
Hi, after the tips I got from some of you about the rockwork in my 75gal, I decided to see if I could lay it out diferrently. I focused on getting more over hangs and openings. Could you tell me if this looks better. I didn't like it at first, but I'm starting to like the look now. Plus I still have more rock on it's way.

DSC00188.jpg

DSC00191.jpg

DSC00189.jpg

DSC00190.jpg

I think you have a good foundation, I would build upon what you have with some more rock as you can afford.

You have a lot of torch there, may be group them together?

The caves are a good idea. You may find the top is a little high. Corals may grow out of the tank to quickly.I am trying to decide how to aquascape my tank also. Julian Sprungs book chapter 7 has some good advice on aquascaping. It is difficult to say what a tank will look like when it is done. I have reviewed the Tanks of the month on
reef central. I do not know if there are reef decorating rules like landscaping. (plant trees in odd numbers etc.) A lot of tanks have a space in the middle, this may be helpful for your clam. Every tank I have setup, I spend days rearranging the rock.
I then go and buy a coral and have to redo it.

dz6t said:
You have a lot of torch there, may be group them together?
LOL, I just split it up. I'm going to place them on a rock close together though. They were all on one brach and HUGE when fully extended. Needed a trim. I just spread it out til I find a good spot that they all fit.

looks good,alot more 3 dimentional.
Although you know you'll be moving those rocks around about twice a day for the next month :D
Man thats frustrating but worth it in the end :)

Clam Man said:
did you move the sand and put the rock on the bottom if not it could fall and hit the glass
I have reef bones as a base rock, they go about 3 inches down in a 4" bed. I placed them so they can have some movement without tipping over because I have lots of turkeywing bivalves and other clams on my rock.

I actually used few 4-5" diameter pvc T underneath my rock work. They created very nice caves and lifted whole rock structure. YOu have to be carefull how to put rock on it so it won't slide but so far it's working out pretty good in my tank and i get some flow underneath rock through these T. I used T as they can stay in one place and can't roll around like normal PVD pipe. I got them from HD.

Here is a picture of my tank. See you can barely see them. Just another idea to create caves and use less LR.

Attachments

• Tank_Full_1.jpg
    Tank_Full_1.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 170
Back