New tank / algae growth.

jc47799

Non-member
Hey everyone,

I am new to the marine world, but I've already caught the bug :)

I currently have a 29 gallon tank that has been running for one month to the day. I have 21 lbs of live rock, and 20 pounds of live sand. I also have a black ocellaris clown, and an ocellaris clown in the tank. My water chemistry is fine (all within acceptable parameters). Within the first week and a half of setting up the tank i had a good amount of brown algae growing over the rocks and sand. I attributed the issue to overfeeding my two clowns, and having the LEDs on for 12-13 hours a day (as well as the tank cycling and establishing itself as any new tank will do...) after cutting down the light to 6 hours a day, and greatly reducing my feeding, the algae started to disappear as I expected it too. It was reduced to about 50%-75% of what it was at its worst. Then, the other day, when i got home from work i had a huge amount of algae growth back on the sand and over the rocks again (see attached pics). I haven't done any water changes, since I was told to avoid it as the tank cycled, and I am not running my protein skimmer yet. I also have a couple of units of chemi-pure elite at my disposal, which I am also avoiding for the time being, since i want my bacterial cultures to develop.

My question is: Is this regrowth of algae not a big deal or is it a result of my lack of water changes/protein skimming, and presence of nutrients, nitrates, dissolved organics etc.? Should I let it take care of itself or should I be more active in removing it since I was already seeing a sizable decline in it last week? Or am I just being impatient???

Thanks everyone,

JC

Attachments

• Algae 3.jpg
    Algae 3.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 337
  • Algae 1.jpg
    Algae 1.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 337
  • Algae 2.jpg
    Algae 2.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 328
Looks possibly like cyano.
What do you have for flow/powerheads?
Try siphoning it out to help remove.

And welcome to BRS

I have one powerhead that is rated at 160 GPH plus whatever return is coming from the canister filter.

~JC

i would do a W/C and get it out and more flow. it looks like cyano and flow will help that but your tank is still NEW prob shouldnt even have fish in there yet it takes a new tank a few month to cycle.

What are your water parameters/what are you testing for? If the tank is still cycling they shouldn't be "fine".

I have had that before, its been a couple of months since I had it. All I can say is siphon it out, its just a cycle.

Ammonia (free and total): 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 1
Ph: 8.1
Alkalinity: 2.5 meq/l
Temp: 75/76
Specific gravity: 1.0224

Yesterday I did a 10% water change. This week I'm gonna do another 20% water change and at the same time clean off the rock of all algae and things in a separate bucket of salt water.

Should I wait for this to clear up before I add another 10 pounds of rock? Does anyone have experience with Dry rock and if so, what are your opinions over LR?

Thanks again for all the advice!

~JC

I'm using the seachem multitest: marine basic kit, although I'm not a huge fan of it so if anyone has anything they'd recommend I'm all ears!

~JC

New when I got the tank so about 6 weeks...

~JC

do you have a tds meter? it's something all us reefers should have...

next time you do a water change use a long hose & suck that gunk off the rock while removing the water you intend to change..

Welcome. That looks like cyano. An easy way to remove that is to take some airline tubing and suction the stuff out into a bucket. You can do this when you do a water change. The cyano will come back, but not as much.

Back