New tank just shy of 3 months and still no cycle?

KevinM822

Non-member
I setup a tank (85g) I got off somebody here almost 3 months ago and took about 70-80lbs of live rock from my other tank plus some live sand (store bought) and my tests are still coming up zero across the board.
What gives?

I have an emerald crab and 2 green chromis (bought 3, but 1 died 2-3 days after putting in)as well as a bunch of snails for live stock

My 55g was almost fully cycled in this amount of time and I really want to get that tank torn down due to the jump in electricity from running both tanks!

The main cause of a cycle is die off when using live rock. Since you took your live rock out of a running tank that was already cycled there would be little to no die off, and thus no cycle.

You should be good to start putting livestock into the new tank.

If I am reading this correct you have livestock in a 3 month old tank and you reading are OK. You probably just blew through the initial cycle as the LR was already precycled. kind of like a big water change and new sand. upgrading using existing LR is pretty painless compared to starting fresh. If what I am reading is correct you are probably good to go

Awesome. Well I don't feel bad at least waiting this amount of time because I'd rather not have to risk the livestock from the old tank! Guess I'll start slowing moving stuff over.
Thanks everyone

Back