New zoa frag not opening.

jdeb101

Non-member
Ok I'm a it concerned now as I got a frag of about 10 heads of zoa that hasn't been opening up for two weeks now. Maybe two or three heads open, but don't even appear fully open. I read one thread on RC that suggested FW dip for 10 minutes, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

Frag came from a reputable LFS (one of our sponsors) and I didn't see any signs of pests. I also have a few other small zoa colonies nearby where I placed this frag (lower level, almost at sandbed level) and they are looking normal.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I don't believe they are melting away, if they are it's happening very slowly.

Where did you place them compared to the lighting? Maybe too much light for them? I unfortunately lost the my clementine zoas I got at the auction. They didn't adjust well and asterisms stars jumped on them to eat them as they melted away.

Good luck and hopefully they will open soon for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where did you place them compared to the lighting? Maybe too much light for them? I unfortunately lost the my clementine zoas I got at the auction. They didn't adjust well and asterisms stars jumped on them to eat them as they melted away.

Good luck and hopefully they will open soon for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are placed on lowest level of my rock, close to sandbed. They were actually placed high in LFS, however under much more of a blue spectrum LED fixture (I'm running T5's with ATI bulbs). I do have a few asterina snails in the tank but haven't noticed them eating at the zoas (never noticed them eating at any of previous zoas as well for that matter).

Maybe not happy with the light. I had some I got from frag farmers that didn't like my led that came from t5s and wouldn't open..I have LEDs. I out them in a little shade and they are fully open now.

I spent a couple of months chasing a similar issue with my green zoas. Tried a bunch of different things, moved them around in the tank, even fragged off a smaller section to try placing them somewhere else. Nothing really worked. So I just stuck them in a corner a couple of months ago and left them there. The frag that gets moderate light and low flow will have a few polyps open occasionally, and the frag with low light and higher flow opens one or two polyps occasionally. Makes no sense....

Try high flow and medium to high light. Depending on which lfs you got it from, try to mimic the conditions they had it in. In my personal experience they love crazy flow.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Try high flow and medium to high light. Depending on which lfs you got it from, try to mimic the conditions they had it in. In my personal experience they love crazy flow.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Thanks Archit. I moved it to a somewhat high flow area on the sandbed this morning. Looks like I'll be moving it higher up! :)

Back