Newbie here, hi all!

Agamemnon

Non-member
I figured this is the approriate spot, I just wanted to say hello to everyone and introduce myself. I heard about this site from Steve at Lovely Pets the other day and I'm glad he mentioned it. It seems to be a wealth of knowledge thus far and trust me, I've got alot to learn.

I'm just starting a saltwater set-up for the first time here and I'm trying to do as much homework as I can before I go out and buy everything nessacary. I have a 55 gallon tank w/ stand, sand (aragonite sugar 2-30lbs bags) and a bucket of salt. I guess my next step is filtration, a friend of mine has a Fluval 405 he might sell me for short $, hopefully that pans out. Definetly going to keep my eye out for people selling live rock on here and also a lighting system. I figure I'll get the versa tops and I'm not sure what is appropriate/reasonably priced for a lighting set-up. As I said, I'm new to the saltwater world and will probably just start with rock and fish but in looking around the site, some of the reef tanks people have are amazing! I'm sure I will want to get into that a little down the road. I did see a 48" - 60" marineland led light at Petco for 100$ but it was probably the single and apparently the double bright isn't even strong enough to promote coral growth. I don't really want to drop 300$ on a light if I dont' have to.

I'm sry, for the extended post but if anyone has any suggestions for me please feel free to bestow your jedi reefer knowledge at me. Thanks again! Happy to be here.

Welcome Aboard! Our monthly meeting is coming up. Information is located on the banner above. Swing in and say hello and meet a few of the members face to face.

Welcome!

Just joined recently myself, don't know where I would be without this club. One of my biggest mistakes.... actually there are many come to think of it but to give you two 1 don't by crappy lights 2 re- think the 55 DIMENSIONS SUCK!!! IMO and now I'm stuck. Also go with a sump from the getgo. Ohh yeah and get that wallet ready. Your gonna love this hobby. I know I do. Like around this site anything u need to know someone needed to know before and there's a forum out there. Good luck with your set up

-Owen

Welcome aboard! Good lighting costs money. Check the for sale forum ya can get great deals there.

good to see another local member
what I found is to buy the best you can afford always
it'll help in the long run so you aren't purchasing something similar week after week

welcome aboard!

Back