Newbie Looking For BioCube Advice

viking

Non-member
Hi All!

I'm new to the hobby and have been doing A LOT of research for the past few months. After all of the reading I figured it would be a good time to get some feedback from the experts and join a community.

I wanted to start small so I'm considering the BioCube HQL 29. I would like to use live rock and live sand and eventually add corals with a small clean up crew. My main concern is what kind of fish I will be able to keep in this environment. Ideally I'd like to have the following:

2 clowns
1 flame angel
1 Midas Blenny

Will this overcrowd the tank? Any advice you can provide on tank selection and my initial thoughts regarding inhabitants would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Howdy!

Welcome fellow hobbyist! May your future be safe and your wallet... not so much :p. The fish choices you mention should do quite well in a 29g. Although I'm providing my opinion, please keep in mind every fish has a unique personality and may act against the common behaviors of its species, and every human will also have a separate opinion.

Clowns - excellent choice as they require relatively light swimming area as long as they have a proper host for security. They are extremely active but routinely remain near their chosen host/home. The species of clown will also determine the safety of your other tank mates as some species are extremely aggressive.

Flame Angel - the smaller ones are typically peaceful but, much like their larger kin, they can become more assertive as they grow and a few have been known to nip at LPS coral polyps (rare but a slight concern).

Midas Blenny - one of the most peaceful and serene fish you may ever purchase. They have active and charming personalities and are extremely docile unless another fish of a similar body type is introduced to the tank. Most will host in a rock and observe their fellow tank mates and you. They need some reasonably open swimming room as they grow so choosing a light, open rock-setup would be beneficial since they need the open water to swim and prosper.

Depending on your tastes, some other common docile fish types that would thrive in a Biocube's somewhat constricted shape:

Firefish
Pygmy Wrasses
Lawnmower/Algae Blennies
Scooter Blennies
Barnacle Blennies
Blue/Green Chromis
Mandarins
Gobies (The smaller types as opposed to the various species that grow to 5-6")

And the only fish I would NEVER recommend to new hobbyists are damsels, unless the tank is damsel only. Most people are attracted to their beautiful colorations. However, these are some of the more dangerous and aggressive fish that routinely terrorize or kill their smaller and more peaceful tankmates.

Again please keep in mind this is just one person's opinion from experience and best of luck with your new tank!

-Adam
DisplacedInTranslation

Last edited:
I'm new here too..and researching for my first tank..I like the advices and can't wait to get started!

Thanks for the confirmation on my proposed setup. I was thinking of two Percula clowns 1) becuase of the temperment issue raised above and 2) because it would generate interest in my 2 yr. old who loves Nemo. I do plan on purchasing a host anemone for the clowns so they have a "safe haven". One of my first attractions to the hobby was the flame angel, so I'm glad to hear it will work out (keeping a close eye on him).

Another question that came to mind is what would everyone reccommend for items purchase from a chain (Petco) as opposed to a LFS? I'm thinking when it comes to livestock (corals, fish, inverts, etc.) I need to go to a LFS, but for equipment (tank, stand, etc.) I can go to a chain. Thoughts?

Thank you all so much for the valuable feedback. It is greatly appreciated!

-Ollie

Glad to hear you’re enthusiastic Ollie. Please forgive the novel below as I was just typing my thoughts and only realized the volume of wording when I was done =D

The host for clowns can vary based upon the source of the perculas. If they are wild caught then they will typically host in their natural homes – bubble-tip anemones. Tank raised or aqua-cultured critters are usually must less finicky about their homes. Anything fluffy and offering concealment can actually work if the clowns show enough interest. Plenty have been known to host in condylactus anemones, frogspawn or torch LPS coral, green hairy mushrooms, and even on filter intake sponges. The tank-raised ones are bizarre in the extreme and quite endearing.

Just remember that anemones can be extremely sensitive to water quality, lighting, and flow. Depending on the anemone, some might never find the ideal location to expand and thrive. These typically require more intense lighting than the stock lights in a biocube setup, but again, everything is circumstantial.

As for livestock and equipment… I would recommend avoiding large chains in their entirety. While yes they will sell the exact same equipment as a LFS (albeit more limited in selection) you need to bear in mind a few things (again just my opinion and not the majority’s):

1. Whether you spend $1,000 on a tank setup at Petco or not, you will not have any long-term impact in whether the company thrives or not. LFS are more sensitive to a customer base as they are relying on the initial investments in equipment customers as well as the return business to survive.

a. Some LFS actually have relationships with their vendors and offer additional warranties on equipment that chains will not.

b. A LFS local to Boston offered an extended 1 year warranty on various lighting setups for virtually any issues, on top of the manufacturer’s limited 90-day warranty or whatever they are.

2. Petco employees are people from any and all backgrounds. While some may be definite knowledgeable hobbyists, most are people just trying to survive and they happen to love animals (or not). The people at LFS typically need to be much more informed about this specific hobby as understanding is CRITICAL to ensure the safety of livestock, and again, ultimately the prospect of return business. Most LFS owners and employees are die-hard hobbyists that are knowledgeable and willing to answer your questions to ensure equipment or livestock would be a good fit for an owner and situation.

a. Prime example, I was at a LFS (Underwater World in Taunton), and I was perusing their coral selection there. Whilst near the register a high-schooler who clearly had no enthusiasm or knowledge in the hobby came up and said he wanted a $60 freshwater fish or something.

The owner Greg asked “Do you have a tank? What kind of setup, fish, etc? How long has it been up?” The kid retorted with “Oh I was gonna put it in this fishbowl (as he stuck a betta bowl on the counter)”. Greg refused to sell to him. I have witnessed scenarios like this at a multitude of LFS and if these reinforce the notion that LFS employees actually care about the hobby (usually :p).

So you might end up paying slightly more at a LFS over online or retail, but you are supporting the businesses dedicated to this hobby. As for livestock, I’ll keep it simple. Petco will almost always be cheaper for coral and fish than an LFS. The difference here is the quality of the suppliers. Most LFS order from reputable distributors who carefully monitor the water conditions and health of their livestock. Petco does not (I’m acquainted with two people from the Avon store). The Petco in Quincy killed several tanks of saltwater fish by adding freshwater medicine and turtle food to the tanks! Furthermore, the majority of my fish from Petco died under desirable water conditions.

I was lucky to have our midas and algae blennies survive and thrive but I wholeheartedly believe this was just that, luck. Virtually everything we have acquired from LFS has been exceptionally healthy and will thrive under the correct circumstances. Again I remind you that nothing is set in stone, even LFS livestock can become ill or die. The difference is the quality of attention and care everything received from capture or growth to retail sales.

Please feel free to PM me if you’d like specific input on anything from above, etc :D/

-Adam

That is a ton of GREAT information. I will be sure to support my LFS by throwing much of the business thier way and agree with your points regarding knowledge. Thanks again!!!

Back