NEWBIE: Sump question

Jokes

Non-member
I got into the freshwater hobby a few years ago by accident really. I bought son a small tank becaue he liked fish and turned out to be something I really enjoyed and it progressed from there. But like everyone else knows, there is no comparison to a reef tank. I recently bought a 90 gal setup that I would like to turn into a reef tank. It is empy at the moment, I am currently buying all the hardware and equipment slowly. I don't know exactly what I want in the tank yet as far as stocking it but I do want corals at some point. I don't really know anything about corals yet. I'm currently working on my sump and I've done research and I am still kind of confused on what is necessary and what is not. So my question is what and how should I build my sump? I know a skimmer is needed, the most important thing. I first thought of using a trickle tower in the sump with bio-balls and stuff but I read somewhere that isnt good for reef tanks. I've seen designs where the skimmer went before the fuge and after. And some say a fuge is neeeded and some say not. So I'm really looking for some good advice to help me design a sump and all of it's necessities for a reef tank.

Thanks!

first of all welcome. Second with a 90 gallon tank, if you use a tradition stand you won't have much room for a sump. There is no right way really. I have a 90 with a 30 gal sump. I think it is a 30. Any way I have 3 xcompartments, first is the drain from the tank, then skimmer, then return. In the skimmer compartment there is not much for for anything else. The first compartment was just a filter sock and some rock. I am just recently turning it into a small refugium with some chaeto, rock and hopefully a lot of pods. Basically to help control algae.

Last edited:
Marc Levenson has a great intro to sumps here:
http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

Like willfx said, there's no real right way to do it.
Most sumps I see, the water comes down on the left into the sump, there are baffles to remove the bubbles, then there's a big space to hold the skimmer, then more baffles and an area for cleaned water to collect and be pumped up to the show tank.

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back