Next project - refugium

Kevin McG

Ni Hao!
Ok I am going to get plans together for a refugium. I have a 180 gallon display tank with a 40 gallon breeder as a sump below. I have room for another 40 gallon to the right of the sump.What is the best method to get water from the sump to the refug without drilling?

What I was thinking of doing was picking up a couple of small pumps, one in the sump and and the other in the refugium. My issue is if the pump that returns water back to the sump dies it flood city.....

Thoughts??

Two pumps is an impossible balance. Instead I'd just use a siphon. If you invert a PVC U (made from a couple elbows, and some straight lengths) then just feed the sump with a pump in the fuge the water levels will stay equal (the exact same flow that exits the fuge through the pump, will return to the fuge through the U tube. The danger here is that air gets into the siphon and eventually builds up to a point where it breaks the siphon. The simple solution is to put a small tubing nipple in the top of the U-tube, and attach a very small hose from that to a venturi on the pump intake. That will constantly suck any trapped air out of the siphon tube. Also put the pump intake near the top of the fuge, so if the siphon fails, the pump will start to suck air long before the sump floods or the fuge goes dry.

You don't want to drill the refuge? Why a reluctance to drill? It would be easy just to raise the tank up a few inches and drain into the sump through a bulkhead via gravity.

dedfish said:
You don't want to drill the refuge? Why a reluctance to drill? It would be easy just to raise the tank up a few inches and drain into the sump through a bulkhead via gravity.

Wouldn't I need to drill both the sump and refug? not sure if I would have the room. I'll go take a few pics.

I also have this space to the upper right hand side of the tank where I was thinking a hang on fuge.

You wouldn't have to drill both, but you would need enough space to raise the tank up at least 4.5-5 inches. You could then drill the side of the fuge and have the plumbing go over the top of the sump. You would hae to take a look at your space and determine if that's an option. Make sure you factor in room for lights and your arms.

Edit: looking at the second pic (it wasn't there when I first started this post) it doesn't look like you have the height for it.

dedfish said:
Edit: looking at the second pic (it wasn't there when I first started this post) it doesn't look like you have the height for it.

Yea I am thinking I don't have it either :( Maybe nates option would be a better choice.

Here's an option...maybe not a good one but I'm trying...turn the 40 breeder (~16" high) into a fuge and drill the side. Then get a 30 breeder (~12" high) and make that your sump.

dedfish said:
Here's an option...maybe not a good one but I'm trying...turn the 40 breeder (~16" high) into a fuge and drill the side. Then get a 30 breeder (~12" high) and make that your sump.

Uggg na I don't want to dispupt all my hard work

I think the siphon idea is much simpler than it sounds. You could have it up and running in about 10 minutes and $5 of plumbing parts.

put a 40 breeder or a 30g which ever will fit on a stand next to the tank in pic #7 put a hang on overflow on the tank to the breeder drill 2 holes in the side of the breeder (2 for safty)run the lines to the sump done. andy wrassefan has a slim over flow box might want to ask him for the brand name

Clam Man said:
put a 40 breeder or a 30g which ever will fit on a stand next to the tank in pic #7 put a hang on overflow on the tank to the breeder drill 2 holes in the side of the breeder (2 for safty)run the lines to the sump done. andy wrassefan has a slim over flow box might want to ask him for the brand name

that is another good option for me

Back