nutri seawater

I've seen the stuff in my LFS and isn't it absurdly expensive? That aside, what is wrong with your tank that makes you want to try the Nutrisea? A lot of people use Instant Ocean with good results; I use Tropic Marin, also with good results. A little more expensive, but I don't have to add as much to supplement the water after the fact.

The only advice I have for you is that if you are going to use it and are running a different salt mix, that you cut the Nutrisea wtih your previous salt mix...maybe start 25/75 at first and work your way up to pure Nutrisea. If everything in your tank is used to a certain concentration of ions and those rapidly change, you may have a problem! Good luck!!! :)

Eric

there is nothing realy wrong with my tank. i was looking into a ro setup because i have been getting alot of alge since i went to a mh light and i still use tap water. and thats when he suggested if i did not want to do a ro unit this could possibly help.

GET AN RO/DI!!!! Absolutely one of the best investments you'll make for your tank. In the long run it will be cheaper than buying water all the time.

You'd be much better in the long run to get an RO or RO/DI filter. Are you still going to add tap water for top-off? I bought a RO/DI unit with drinking water tank and faucet for less than $140 on ebay. I've been extremely happy with it. Plus now I don't have to buy britta filters or bottled water.

Nutrisea water won't really solve the tap water problem. The big polluter is your topoff water, because that tap crap is added in constantly, and the pure water keeps evaporating, so the crap gets more and more concentrated!

Either buy an RODI or buy RODI from your LFS. Some sell it quite cheap!

Nate

any sugestions on a ro unit. i figured i would have to get one sooner or later so now is the time when i was using a pc light i never realy had this problem now with mh it has gotten real bad. i would never imagined it would get like this. so any sugestions would be great. thanks

EBAY is where I got mine. I think most people here have pretty much the same thing. Do a search there for RO/DI.

www.filterdirect.com or find them on ebay mine works great and if you are worried about filters order an extra set with the unit it will be no more than $150 unit Including extra filters and delivery.My unit is made by Water General

Okay, I have a couple more questions for you:

1. What are the water conditions of the tank (Salinity, pH, nitrates/nitrite, phosphorus)?
2. How large is the tank and what do you have in there for a clean-up crew?

I used tap water when starting up my tank and didn't have a problem with it (that's certainly not to say you can't). I've also seen some amazing growth in a tank that was only given tap water. It could be your problem, but before you run out and start dropping exorbitant amounts of money.

Good Lord, that guy was trying to take you! Occasionally, I do 20-30 gallon water changes in a system that has about 100 gallons. At $10 for 4.4g, that would cost roughly $50! Get yourself a RO/DI, you'll save money (esp. if you get it used from someone here and just replace the filters).

Even before buying an RO/DI, it could be something as simple as a build-up of nutrients.

Eric

Just noticed Mine Is the same as Dedfish's minus the holding tank.That will be even cheaper if you don't need the tank.

ph is 8.6 calc is 420 salt is at 1.25 and phos .4 which usualy isnt that high that is probaly my problem correct? thnaks for the advice. the tank is a 54 corner with a 10 gal sump with aqua c urchin pro with 45 lbs live rock. coralife aqua light pro lighting. there are about 15 snails for my clean up crew 2 pepermint shrimps 1 cleaner shrimp 1 fire shrimp 2 urchins 1 small clown fish 1 flag tail goby with a pistol shrimp a scooter blennie and a neon gobie . iwas going to add some more snails. the set up is 8 months old. thanks for the help

Last edited:
Yeah, Phosphate should read zero. But who knows what other lethal crap is going into your tank with the tap water. Probably various heavy metals, no doubt some organic pollutants. None of it good.

RODI water can be bought at LFS for a buck/5 gallons. Or RO can be bought at Walmart from the Culligan machine for .30/gallon. To me it seems like too much of a wild card to try to run a reef tank with tap water around here, when RODI water, or an RODI watermaker are so much cheaper than all the livestock you'll put in the tank.

I have an AirWaterIce Typhoon that I bought used from a reefer here for about $100. Love it. I think they retail for about $190.

Good luck, Nate

Back