Oceanic 45g Tech Tank Build Coming Up - Lighting Question

Andy V

Non-member
Hello All,

I am going to be building a system around an Oceanic 45g Tech Tank over the next several months. I am moving around June and I will not be setting the tank up until then, so thankfully this will give me some much needed time and patience to plan and build a system exactly how I want it.

The tank is going to be LPS dominated with some softies as well. So my preference is to go with T5 lighting with LED moonlights/supplementation. The tank is 24" tall and the height of the lamp from the surface is adjustable to the degree that I get enough of a light spread.

Now I know this isn't exactly the correct way to think about this, but how much wattage will I need for this setup? All the 24" fixtures have 24 watt bulbs that I can find, so I am thinking that I will probably need 8 bulbs, i.e. 192 watts.

Second, should I go with one fixture with 8 bulbs, or two fixtures with 4?

Recommendations on brands/models are appreciated.

Let the fun/arguments begin!

Another thing...perhaps a MH/T5 combo? Perhaps with a tank this deep it would be ok...what I am trying to avoid is washed out colors on the LPS that I have with my current setup with MH only. I really would like the shimmer effect too...will LEDs provide this if I go without MH?

I am thinking of the ATI Powermodule 6x24w unit and perhaps a strip of LED's for shimmer. Thoughts?

yeah forget the 8 just go 6X24 especially with the tank being lps/softie and cause ATI fixtures rock, but honestly forget the powermodule which is $700 with bulbs just get the new Sunpower for $519 WITH bulbs........the sunpowers now come with fans and a slpash gaurd, and the tank isnt SPS dominant so you dont need to squeeze out ALL the par a bulb has like the powermodule does, with its better reflectors and more fans.........i also like the led strip for night or to supplement the actinics.

Last edited:
I was doing some reading on Reef Central and it seems that some people running Oceanic 45g Tech LPS/Softie tanks are using the 4x24w powermodule with great results. Might that be enough?

I have the 45G tech tank. Do you have the tank in possession yet? I think it will be a waste of money and PAR power if you go with the 6 bulb powermodule. This tank is not open top. The top of the tank has wide black rim so the opening is much smaller than 24"x18'. The 4 bulb fixture is more suited for this opening. If you are going to have a LPS/softy tank then the ATI 4x24W provides plenty of light.

I have the 45G tech tank. Do you have the tank in possession yet? I think it will be a waste of money and PAR power if you go with the 6 bulb powermodule. This tank is not open top. The top of the tank has wide black rim so the opening is much smaller than 24"x18'. The 4 bulb fixture is more suited for this opening. If you are going to have a LPS/softy tank then the ATI 4x24W provides plenty of light.

I do have the tank and I see what you mean. Since I have never run a sump/reef ready system before, I have lots of questions. Would you mind if I used you as a resource over the next couple months? And if so, does PM work best? Thanks.

Sure. Pm me anytime. Do you have the sump to go with it. The inside of the stand is pretty small, no room for a big sump. I have the Oeanic model 2 sump.

I do not have a sump yet. And I think you mean the Model 1 if you are running the 45g Tech, no? I was looking at the Aqueon Model 1, but I am not sure about it...I want to have a refugium in the sump, and it looks like the skimmer and return pump are in the same chamber in that sump, so micro bubbles may become a problem. It might work if you run the skimmer output back through the refugium though...what do you think?

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store...s/aqueon-modular-proflex-sump-filtration.html

Back