Octopus X10 timer issue

Glenn E King

Non-member
I have an Octopus controller that allows x10 module control of timers.
I use them for my return pump and lights.
All of the sudden the timers have stopped working.
I checked the settings and everything seems fine.

Any suggestions?

Is it all the timers or just one timer?

Sometimes a module goes bad. I am not familiar with the Octopus but I am very familiar with the X10 stuff.

Can you try plugging the modules into the same outlet / powerstrip as the transmitter the Octopus uses? Has any new electrical device been plugged in near either the controller or the modules? Sometimes you get interference. Have you made any changes to or moved the modules or the controller?

I'll look up the octopus and see what I can help with.

ok, it looks like it uses x10 like the neptune systems. SO that means the Octopus send the commands to an interface box that plus into an ac outlet.

you should have one of these http://www.marinedepot.com/X_10_Pro..._Accessories-X_10_USA-XT1113-FITEMOAC-vi.html

Check the cable that runs from the Octopus to the interface module. Usually this is a standard phone cord, make sure it has 4 wires not 2! Make sure the interface is plugged into the ac outlet.

To test the modules and the interface plug them all into the same outlet strip and see if it works.

Problem continues- Octopus w x 10 controller

This is interesting
The controller sends its signal to an interface module on a power strip.
The x 10 modules are plugged into the power strip .
Everything was working fine until two weeks ago. Now the controller for the pump won't work, the controllers for the MH lights won't work, the controller for the fluorescents will turn them off but not on.

Sounds like something is interfering with the x10, Did you plug in a new appliance or anything new to the power strip near the x10 interface module? Try plugging in the interface and the modules to the same strip to see if they work that way.

Could also be a bad interface module.

Sounds like something is interfering with the x10, Did you plug in a new appliance or anything new to the power strip near the x10 interface module? Try plugging in the interface and the modules to the same strip to see if they work that way.

Could also be a bad interface module.
on the your point I have t5's and had a ballast go bad, well the lights worked fine but put out so much noise that my x10 would turn on but not off.

many times a pump motor, bad balast even an appliance like a washing machine ect can cause interference with x10 depending on the house wiring and where it's plugged in. Also some surge suppressors can weaken the signal.

I gave up on the X-10's years ago. Never worked consistently, and I tried lots of fixes. Got tired of lights turning on in the middle of the night. The direct connect system seems to work very well however.

Eureka!

After trying various solutions, I thought I'd look in the manual ( I'm a male and not an engineer so thats always my last resort)
It seems that when there is a power outage the x 10 needs to be" rebooted " ( for lack of another term ) by powering down the Octopus and then powering it back up and reidentifying each control module.
Its all working again.

Back