Orange shoulder tang help

robanister

BRS Member
Any suggestions on orange shoulder tangs. I have kept a couple with no luck. Either slowly faded or died suddenly. Any tips would be appreachiated. All other animals great. Minimal aggression in tank. 120 gallon.

We are talking in for a month after quarantine then gone. 1 died in quarantine that couldnt poop after a week..Parameters no issue perfect. Tank mates could be . Purple tang flame tang could be culprits but never seen it. Even did a box. Think I just need to try larger than 2 to 3 inches when I get one. Quarantine is for 6 weeks then if no issues goes in.

Purple tang would also be my guess. What do you feed your fish and what was the orange shoulder eating? Any Nori or vitamin soaked foods? I would try keeping them in an acclimation box for 3 days to watch for aggression. How much rock is in the tank, NSA aquascapes can look really interesting but don’t always provide adequate hiding spots for fish.

Purple tangs can be one of the most aggressive tangs out there, it could be just bullying at night and not letting it eat.
I think this is what may be happening which is why something larger may help to be able to fend for itself better.

I assure you the tank is not novice. Plenty of hidding spots.decoy fish. Even more rock than will keep... to go in another tank later. Been keeping reefs for 21 years. New to this fish. Did notice hidding in one spot and slow fadding away. Buddy has a larger healthy one I am going to try. It will be able to fend for itself and is eating well. A lot more lively too. Unfortunately it was not first in as suggested due to backorder of months.

Attachments

• 20230111_185342.jpg
    20230111_185342.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 93
Purple tang would also be my guess. What do you feed your fish and what was the orange shoulder eating? Any Nori or vitamin soaked foods? I would try keeping them in an acclimation box for 3 days to watch for aggression. How much rock is in the tank, NSA aquascapes can look really interesting but don’t always provide adequate hiding spots for fish.
Yep all accounted for . Large variety of live and frozen food as well as nori and vitamins.

I currently have one in hypo and has been eating like a champ. He will soon be ready to go in the display with a regal and yellow tang

Friend is bringing 3 in orange shoulder tang over tonight. Will let you know how is goes. It is a little smaller than purple tang but that will be his only issue. Decoy fish in since last night. Previously put in 2in orange shoulders.

Id suggest putting the purple tang in acclimation tank for a least no more than a week and let the newly introduced tang become normal without the purple harassing him/her and reintroduce and observe.
It worked for me with a naso recently bullying a gem tang. Prior also worked for me on a sohal being introduced into naso & yellow established in qt as well. All worked w/o issues

Id suggest putting the purple tang in acclimation tank for a least no more than a week and let the newly introduced tang become normal without the purple harassing him/her and reintroduce and observe.
It worked for me with a naso recently bullying a gem tang. Prior also worked for me on a sohal being introduced into naso & yellow established in qt as well. All worked w/o issues
+1 for this

If you can move some of the aqua scape during this time that’d be an added bonus. I’ve had success quelling aggression using this method in the past

Larger 3 inch orange shoulder doing well. Slight aggression after day 1 which has reduced today. I did notice the hippo tang being an aggressor at one point. He has always been the biggest punk in the tank. Introduced at night and hung the decoys. Everyone is relearning their place but no massive flashing rapid swim aways.

Attachments

• 20230118_190524.jpg
    20230118_190524.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 20230118_190515.jpg
    20230118_190515.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 20230118_190451.jpg
    20230118_190451.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 78
Larger 3 inch orange shoulder doing well. Slight aggression after day 1 which has reduced today. I did notice the hippo tang being an aggressor at one point. He has always been the biggest punk in the tank. Introduced at night and hung the decoys. Everyone is relearning their place but no massive flashing rapid swim aways.
Hopefully this one will work out. In one of the pics, the orange shoulder looks super thin, is it?

No. Must be distorted. The belly is packed full and eating well. Swimming and no hidding. Also looks 100 times better than the last couple I got. I will take a few more pics now that I have a light filter for my camera.

Maybe put a mirror on one side of the tank for a week or two. all of the tangs will be too busy posing for their reflection to mess with each other.

I always do two things to fatten up tangs, nori and live blackworms. I believe strongly that live foods make the fish far more robust and they love it. If you have a source, or if you LFS can bring them in, they are a godsend.

Good luck!

Tang gang doing well all day yesterday and today. This fish was qt by friend and from last. Thaught about mirror but already had shinny glass that they used to pick at their reflection in.

Attachments

• 20230122_155249.jpg
    20230122_155249.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 74
Back