Orphek PR-25 LED - too good to be true?

Jim_Larkin

Non-member
I just saw the Orphek PR-25 LED bulbs that screw into a normal light socket, and are dimmable. Too good to be true?

I'm thinking of having one of these ($200) replace my Current 40 Watt PC over a 10 gallon mainly LPS tank. Does anyone have any experience with these, or the company?
Concerns include bleaching, as I think this is going to be a large jump in wattage, and placement. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

Well technically the wattage would probably be less. But I know what you meant. Hehe. More light. :D

I saw one of the posts mentioned they are 2 watt LEDs. I'm not really familiar with that concept. Most people jumped from 1 watt to 3 watt. So I don't really know what one should expect from a 2 watt. They say they develped the LEDs themselves in house supposedly. It looks like a decent enough unit. I wouldn't worry about bleaching since it's dimmable. Which raises the question, are you set up to mount a traditional screw in bulb over your tank with a dimmer switch?

I have to be honest I'm a little put off by the company's posts with the emphasis on PUR over PAR. A logical concept on the surface, but I'm not sure I'd trust that they understand PUR enough to be able to make blanket claims that their lights put out the most PUR of any light. But seeing as you only need one, it's not a huge deal to find out. It's only 200 bucks. I don't think I'd go that route for a larger tank though.

I don't really think you could get decent LED lighting over your tank for much less than $200 unless you went the DIY route anyhow.

someone over on nanoreef actually got it and likes it so far, some of thier numbers on other products are dead out wrong and or exaggerated but the product could be okay..id consider it to be a small risk worth taking if you have the money

I'll have to come up with a screw in bulb setup/hood, which I've wanted to do for awhile anyhow. I like what I'm seeing about it, and the cost sounds right, especially knowing that only one of them should be enough for my 10 gallon. I'll be sure to share any details once I take the plunge.

Back