Overflow for a 29 Acrylic Tank

Anyone know of a place I can get a few things done on a small acrylic tank? I tried a guy who made an acrylic windshield for my center console, but he's too busy and will be for a few more months.

I want to put an overflow box in the top left corner and have a section cut-out on the top of the tank for access. There's a small hole there already for a heater, etc, but it's not big enough. I'd need to have a hole cut in the back of the tank for the bulkhead too. I do have a pre-filter but would prefer not to use it.

I'd also like to cut-out a couple more bulkhead holes for closed loop circulation. With space being a premium in a 29 gallon, I'd rather not use an internal powerhead if possible.

BTW, the tank is a SeaClear, so I'm not sure of the quality of the acrylic and whether it can be worked on?

Thanks,
Paul

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

I bought a Bosch jigsaw and it made really clean cuts, with very little chipping of the gel coat, in glassed 3/4" plywood. Would that be ok to use for cutting a couple access holes on an acrylic top? I have a bunch of 10 TPI progressive tooth blades. It says on the package that they're good for plastic.

Paul

I've never used a jig saw for acrylic but with the proper blade I don't see why you can't. Just make sure it have fine tooth on the saw blade and don'y apply too much pressure. Just to be save pratice on a piece of scrap acrylic.

It's a pretty powerful jigsaw in comparison to a Black and Decker that I had. I was surpirsed at how sturdy and strong it felt while cutting. I'll see what the finest tooth blades are for plastic and try those. Thanks Richard.

I used a dremel tool on the bulkhead for my sump. I drew a 1.75" circle with a marker and cut away. Wasn't 100% perfect but after bulkhead was installed, who knew?

A friend of mine, who fabricates plastic products out of acrylic, poly, starboard, etc., said he'd cut the tank as a Christmas gift. :D Thanks Bob.

Back