Oxygenating Reservoir Water

MichaelJ

Reefer
BRS Member
Does anyone do this? I have a 5 gallon reservoir and I know there’s not a lot of movement in there and wondered if there was any write up about it…I just started today, I threw in an airline coming from outside.

My 60G RODI just sits there.
The cup of water being filled into the tank for evaporation is a non issue. Not worth the effort IMO.

I wouldn’t be the slightest bit concerned about aeration for top off water. For new saltwater, a powerhead and a heater in the barrel.

Okay. Why don’t you try it and report back.
Send these for ICP test.
-tank water
-unaerated RODI
-Aerated RODI
-tank water with aerated RODI
I Would be super interested in the result.
I’ll do that….I’m pretty sure I saw an article about this….still looking. But I’ll try to get some numbers going over the next month or so….nothing might come of it but ya never know.

Personally without knowing anything about it I would say there are tons of great tanks that do perfectly well without that. My guess there'd be marginal or negligible benefit. It's not going to solve a real problem or be a game changer.

"airline from outside" I wonder if there is some confusion or crossover of thinking between top off reservoir, and feeding fresh air into the skimmer to combat low PH (combat elevated Co2 really).

As Nick said earlier, the volume of water going into our tanks via top off is absolutely tiny in relation to the overall system. Even if that top off water was completely stagnant and very lacking in aeration, it would still instantly mix into the MUCH larger volume of saltwater and become totally irrelevant.

To say it another way - Top off gas levels will have virtually no impact on the system at all. On the other hand, a system in a home with elevated Co2 (from normal breathing and lack of circulation) will equalize with the atmosphere around it and then the PH will dip low due to the elevated Co2. This is commonly combated by piping in fresh air from outside (where the Co2 level is not elevated). Could this have been part of the thinking behind the question?

"airline from outside" I wonder if there is some confusion or crossover of thinking between top off reservoir, and feeding fresh air into the skimmer to combat low PH (combat elevated Co2 really).

As Nick said earlier, the volume of water going into our tanks via top off is absolutely tiny in relation to the overall system. Even if that top off water was completely stagnant and very lacking in aeration, it would still instantly mix into the MUCH larger volume of saltwater and become totally irrelevant.

To say it another way - Top off gas levels will have virtually no impact on the system at all. On the other hand, a system in a home with elevated Co2 (from normal breathing and lack of circulation) will equalize with the atmosphere around it and then the PH will dip low due to the elevated Co2. This is commonly combated by piping in fresh air from outside (where the Co2 level is not elevated). Could this have been part of the thinking behind the question?
No, it was just something I was pondering, like I said there was a write up about it but I can’t find it…..I think I’ll just scrap the idea of aerating the reservoir….

I thought about this before and posted it on R2R. Basically everyone that commented made me feel like The Village Idiot and said it would be a complete waste of time. So I never went through with it. I would be interested to see your results. My idea was it would increase the pH in my tank.

I thought about this before and posted it on R2R. Basically everyone that commented made me feel like The Village Idiot and said it would be a complete waste of time. So I never went through with it. I would be interested to see your results. My idea was it would increase the pH in my tank.
What I thought too…but a lot of people say that the small amount of top off wouldn’t make a difference….but for me to start this I’d have to stop my lime treatment for at least a month. (What I was told)

Look at it this way, if your RODI is totally stagnant, it will have no dissolved Co2, and thus no impact on PH.

-Aeration will introduce the atmospheric Co2 from the surrounding air which is usually somewhat elevated in Co2. Slightly depresses PH

-Aeration with air from outside will introduce air with normal atmospheric Co2 level. Depresses PH slightly less than the air from inside home.

Perhaps keeping the top off as stagnant as possible would be worth exploring?

I would not stop kalk to test this, that WOULD have an impact on PH. :)

Look at it this way, if your RODI is totally stagnant, it will have no dissolved Co2, and thus no impact on PH.

-Aeration will introduce the atmospheric Co2 from the surrounding air which is usually somewhat elevated in Co2. Slightly depresses PH

-Aeration with air from outside will introduce air with normal atmospheric Co2 level. Depresses PH slightly less than the air from inside home.

Perhaps keeping the top off as stagnant as possible would be worth exploring?

I would not stop kalk to test this, that WOULD have an impact on PH. :)
My reservoir has been stagnant, that’s why I was curious as to what would happen if anything….I don’t run kalk…..I run outside air through a container with lime then into the sump…..I don’t have a skimmer for the airline to connect too.

Take stagnant water and add Co2, the PH will go down not up...

Back