Pistol shrimp power ;)

NanoReefer

25g Waterbox
Watch your fingers, these guys pack a powerful punch. Caused not by the two halves of the claws making contact but "originates from the collapse of a cavitation bubble".

http://stilton.tnw.utwente.nl/shrimp/ : Good link with links to video of pistol shrimp snapping, see below (web site has more video, audio and photos).

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2001/10/1003_SnappingShrimp.html : National Geographic article

Slow-mo video of a "snap":

08231205.gif

Front view slowmo:
53101203.gif

I'm always amazed by these guys. Not only the developed talents like shown above, but their tireless work ethics!! My shrimp DOES NOT STOP MOVING and WORKING!!

My guy would completely excavate my tank if I let him. I learned how to keep him "in check". When he finishes building/cleaning/remodeling his tunnels on the left side of the reef, and begins to expand his construction site, I'll go in and collapse a few tunnels, cover a hole with rubble, something, anything. This tick him off to no end and forces him to "perfect" the job once again. I do this every two or three days and it keeps his project confined to a small 1 foot are of the tank.

I have 2 A Randalli in my 20L and I rarely ever see signs that they are there. At one point I thought one had died (after my weekend of broken tanks) so I bought another. I found out the first ne was still alive when I moved my tank from work to home. I have the tank drained except for about a quarter inch of water on top of the sand. It must of been sitting in my living room for 4 hours before noticed a little shrimp kickin arround in that thin layer of water. I think they are both still alive...I just wish I saw them more often. I still like them anyway. :D

Do you have a goby paired with the shrimp? My shrimp is MIA when the goby is cruisin the tank. However, the first time the goby goes butt-first into the main cave to the shrimp's den, the candy striped dude comes out and starts poking around. I'm pretty sure that they need that "trust" from the symbiotic relationship to show their true colors.

D

Ah...Randalli ... frog fish. Don't know anything about them except they did scare me in a dream once.. they paired up with a cow fish to chase me :D

Back