Please help identify

Chris B

BRS Member
I just noticed these white dots on my over flow? What are they?

Attachments

• overflow.jpg
    overflow.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 182
They're actually a type of feather duster worm that builds a really hard calcareous shell and encrusts on glass. Nothing to worry about

Actually, I think the 6 large white "dots" that are almost in a vertical line might be eggs (not sure of what, possibly snail eggs)... I see a couple of calcareous worm tubes (there's one right under the bottom "egg", ie, under the 6th "dot" counting from the top) and their size is pretty different.

Nuno

I'm with Nuno on this one. The calcaareous worm tubes are swirling, and have an open end where the worm comes out.

Those look closed and their linear arrangement would lead me to guess egg sacks too. Although I've never seen ones that look quite like that. Might post in Dr. Ron's forum on RC. I'm always curious to know what's laying eggs in my tank. (By the way, I've had hundreds of tiny tiny baby snails roaming my glass for the last month or two. I think my cerith eggs are hatching and growing well!)

Ditto Nuno and Nate.

Skiptons has a bunch of those eggs on the bck glass of two of their
little cube tanks. I'm not sure what's laying them, Brendan may
have narrowed down the field by now.

If you just noticed them, and have added any new snails lately...
you've probably found your layer.

b

Hmmmm...snail eggs, huh?

I have tons of them, but they are all over my rock in those "line clusters" of three to five. Have yet to see anything "hatch" from them. I was sure they were some evil flatworm sac or something, and that one day I would wake up with some infestation. :(

So...narrowing the field from me will be hard. I have a little bit of everything (snail wise) in there. Got any bumblebee snails? since many people don't use them, (and these sacs don't seem to be very common) that could narrow it down quickly if you, me and Brendan all have them. ;)

-Linda

Bec: you're right, they do look similar to the ones I saw at Skipton's on the weekend... Brendan told me they were nerite snail eggs (the funny thing is that only the eggs remained, because the snails turned out to be inter-tidal and escaped the tanks :D)

Nuno

It does make sense..... I did get in on the group buy from Skiptons and picked up a bunch of snails. This is great. :D

I also did post on Ask Dr. Ron on RC and this is what he said: "They are egg capsules of a snail, see here. "

Back