Please ID This Coral

wrassefan

Intentionally Left Blank
BRS Member
I got this from Karl Wagner over a yr agoand he never told me what it was.....can you help me id this? It started out as the small piece (1.5") in the middle and spread to what you see today...kinda "cappish" (new word).
It also started out greyish light green.

Attachments

• dont know what it is coral.jpg
    dont know what it is coral.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 232
was the original colony over a dead acro colony? I would think that it is a montipora cap that had overgrown something else.

That's a Montipora, Andy. Some kind of strange cap-like thing Karl dragged out of the gutter somewhere between here and NJ. :) His usual gnarly fare.

I had a frag of that coral, but it lost a battle with my Goniopora colony. Before it bit the dust, mine knobbed up like that a bit in the middle also... then just spread out like a plating SPS, rather than a scrolling cap. the coralites are each slightly raise, and grouped differently than a cap - if I recall correctly. Bring me a replacement frag and I'll i.d. it for you. :)

b

I does look similiar, but what's throwing me off is the center piece. Mine has not shot upwards in the middle like in the first pic.

Adam -

Did yours come from Karl?
I have seen several Monti-type corals that thicken up that way before spreading out.. and then they never shoot up again. Not sure what causes it.

b

Very cool. I love the growth form of it. You should frag it and ( I bet you thought I was going to say give me the frag) put it in a different place in your tank and see if it grows the same way.

Daragon-mine knobbed up in the middle and then began to spread as Rebecca said
Rebecca-when I finally frag it, I got a piece for ya'
Darren- I had it high up on the upper third of my tank with high flow and it grew about the same speed as it has in the lower third with med flow where it is today. The piece actually started under T5s only but has gotten alot darker green with the whitish edge since under MH

Back