Pond Scum Question

NateHanson

Non-member
I received a private question from a member that I thought would be applicable to others, so I'm posting my response here for everyone to benefit and/or offer their different opinions.

Hi Nate,
I have a problem, I need some help with. Recently, I have gotten an out break of maroon hair algae. I have also noticed for a month or so tiny bubbles, I thought micro bubbles from the skimmer, sticking to algae around the tank. Whenever any of the bubbles are disrupted there is a horrible stagnent water smell. I am not running any filters on the tank, but I do have the remora pro going, a penguin 600 powerhead, a small 260 (just to keep one corner moveing), and a 2600 via aqua (i think that's what it is) which turns 700+ gph. Anyway, there seem to be no dead spots in the tank, but there seems to be something floating on the top of the water on the right side of the tank, the side the skimmer is not on.It almost looks like a pond does in the summer when there is still water and pollen on it.
what's going on??! any ideas?? :confused:

Thanks

Is the scum on the surface something thick that you could scoop out with a spoon? Or is more like a thin oil slick on the water?

If the pond scum you're talking about is more like a gooey brown bubbly stringy sludge, that grows on your rocks over the course of the day, and when you blow off your rocks brown bubbly stuff floats up to the surface and collects there, then you probably have dinoflagellates. They're kinda nasty. The sludge smells awful, and they can be hard to get rid of, but they don't seem to bother corals too much. I found that dripping kalkwasser for your topoff does wonders for decreasing dinoflagellates, maybe because it raises the pH of the tank. While you're at it raise the Alkalinity of your tank to above 4.0 meq/L too. If you're already close to that you can probably do it with kalk over a few days since I don't think you have many corals - or use Washing Soda fully disolved and added slowly to boost it. I found Baking soda made it worse, possibly because it depressed the tank pH slightly. I'd try that (kalk and high alk), and blow off your rocks at least every day, and scoop out any sludge that collects on the surface. After a couple weeks I bet you'll see an improvement.

Good luck,
Nate

Nate here are a few photos of what I think is dino... can everyone let me know what they think?!?! thanx in advance
Tiff

Attachments

• IMG_0202.JPG
    IMG_0202.JPG
    6.4 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0204.JPG
    IMG_0204.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 157
well the maroon I think is hair algae, but who knows... I don't. But I think it would be weird since the tank has been running for 6+ yrs now.

The second one is Dino (at least that's what I'm calling it). Raise your Alk and pH.

The first one looks like Cyano to me. Increased flow should help that.

Nate

t1771 said:
well the maroon I think is hair algae, but who knows... I don't. But I think it would be weird since the tank has been running for 6+ yrs now.
Is your sand bed over 6"?? Could the dsb sand bed be crashing?? First pick looks like cyno to me with the accompanying bubbles I've experienced first hand. Run a bag of carbon in the remora and do a heavy water change. I also agree with above comments about raising alk/ph and increase flow. Tough to get rid of the surface scum if the only surface skimming is to the Remora. I would aim a powerhead to break up the surface stuff.

Last edited:
I am going to start adding carbon today if I can somehow get some, I can't drive b/c of the ankle incident. For thise of you that don't know I sprained my ankle Wednesday night and have an air-cast and crutches.
This morning I placed a powerhead towards the top of the tank to break up scum. I can't do a water change b/c of the crutches. I will raise ph slowly and I cranked up the remora pro. I had red slime remover hanging around so i added some, so of course the skimmer is going crazy. i will keep everyone posted!!

Back