Purple coraline algae is fading

twiddledog

Non-member
The purple algae on my rock is fading quickly. Also some of my trumpet coral has stared dying off. I am not sure why.
Could it be my Metal Halides need replacing? How do you tell if they do? I am not sure how old the bulbs are.
The only changes to the tank is I started using Tropic Marin Bio Calcium to the sump (3 spoonfulls) about every other day to my sump. Is that amount ok?
Any ideas what would causing the rock to fade?

Thanks!

Check your Alk and Calc. You should be checking those regularly especially if you are dosing Calcium supplements.

Params ok...

My basic parameters are ok..Amonia is a little high .25. I don't have a Calcium or alkaline test kit so I don't know what those parameters are.. Think I should stop addding the calcium?

You shouldn't be adding anything you aren't testing for. I would start out by getting Ca and Alk tests. There's no way to tell you what could be causing your problems without current readings for pH, Ca, & Alk. Magnesium test would be a big help too.

I have to agree with the above posts. If you aren't testing for it you shouldn't be adding it. Your alk should be about 9 - 11 dkh and your Cal should be about 450 ppm. If your Mag levels are below 1350 ppm it will be hard to keep your cal and alk in balance. You need to get and use test kits.

Three spoonfuls a day without a alk or calcium test? I have a 30g cube and I add one spoonful of Bio-Calcium every other day. I only have one LPS coral, a disk coral. Get some test kits. Test your alk and calcium level. Calcium should be 380-450. Figure how much you should be adding daily and stick to it. I add 3ml of EcoSystems reef solutions daily(multi product) and a spoonful of Bio-Calcium every other day. I no longer test the water weekly but only every 2-3 weeks. God bless and good luck!

Back