Pursuing a Calc Reactor - please critique my selection

besl

Non-member
So now that my system (125 gallon display with a 30 gallon sump)
has been up and running for 1 year, the time has come to add a Calcium Reactor. Ok, I don't really need one just yet, but I am going to add it anways. I have spec'd out a Ca reactor as shown below. I would be interested in any feedback on any of these items as to quality, ease of use, reliability, support, etc, etc. Here is the list... please critique away before I make my purchase as I really would hate to make a bad (and expensive) decision:

• Geo 612
  • Reefanatic Deluxe Regulator
  • Gen-X Reactor Media
  • Maxi-Jet 1200 Feed Pump
  • Reeffanatic PH Controller

I will buy a 5 lb tank of CO2 locally. Thanks in advance for those that can share their personnel experience to help steer me down the right path.

If you are using a controller I would think that you probably want to also get a solenoid to open and close the CO2 based on the effluent in the reactor chamber.

Andy, good point. The Reef Fanatic regulator says it comes with a solenoid:

Integrated 110V German solenoid valve
Integrated precision needle valve
Preset working pressure gauge making fine tune easy
Compact and chrome plated body
Compatible with standard US CO2 tanks

Is Reef Fanatic a good brand? Is there a better one I should get? They also are recommending a Reef Fanatic Controller - anyone familiar with this brand for quality, repeatability, etc?

Thanks again Andy for your continued help with this.

Just a thought, but depending on what you are paying for the Reef Fanatic controller you could probably step up to an aquacontroller jr. for not a whole lot more and this would control your reactor along with automating other functions in your tank such as lights, powerheads, heating, etc. I use the ACJr. and love it.

I'm sure you all wanted to know how this concluded... ok, let me tell you anyways... I ordered the package described above (GEO612, RF Controller, etc) from PA - it's suppose to arrive tomorrow - no more daily dosing - can't wait! I hope setting this up is straight forward - this will be another reef first for me.

Thanks to Andy O, Liam and penguinsix for your input on this.

Besl I have a GEO 6x18 and a Reef Fanatic delux reg and the Reef Fanatic controller, the reg comes with the solinoid.This is a sweet set up, one thing that I got that made it real easy was adding a ph probe in the chamber.The reactor shound have a plug in the top to accept it. My previous reactor was a Deltec that cost almost twice what the GEO cost me, I am much happier with the GEO. Chip

I've read a few positive experiences on here about the Geo. I think Nuno (nunofs) wrote a bit about it when he was shopping for one a while ago.

MikeG and smcnally, I have no experience with CaRx, but all my readings and discussions have led me to believe that a 5 lb tank should last around 6 months for my size (125 gal) tank - man, I hope it lasts more than 2 months.

bigchippa, thanks for the vote of confidence. Your reply further reinforces my selection.

BTW, where do I put the probe (easy with your responses please) - in the sump and control to around 8.2? In the GEO612 chamber? If it is better to place in the GEO chamber rather than the sump, what pH do I set the controller to?

The ph probe goes in the top of the geo Im not sure if all models come with it I think they do. If so there is a small cap about 1/2"-1" on the top unscrew it and slide the probe in. Most medias melt good around 6.4-6.7 ph. check on the media for recomendatoins. So yes you are controlling the chamber ph wich is your effluent.This lets you control the consistancy of your effluent more efficently. If you run your chamber ph too low your media will turn into mush and clog(not good) if you run your chamber ph to high and you will not be melting much of anything(not good either) that is why I went with the probe.One step coser to a set it and forget it reactor. Chip

Steve,

I have a 20 lb tank and its been running at 40 DPM for a year and a half an still going strong, what do you run for a drip rate and whats your effluent pH?

Thanks,

Jim

On my 90 I have been running a 5lb for at least 4 or 5 months now. I am using the ARM media and I set the solenoid to open at 6.75 and shut down at anything below 6.60 b/c even when your probe hits 6.60 the ph is still going to drop a bit beyond that as well. Definitely put the probe in the reactor chamber. When setting my drip rate I started off with what the GEO instructions reccomend but it seems like you really should check your ALK/Calcium periodicly b/c what may be doing the job at one point may change if you add more calcium needing corals/clams and your drip rate may not be sufficient to keep your levels constant.

Back