PVC vs Flexible PVC

Solman

Non-member
I am getting ready to move my sump from under the tank to a 100 gallon Rubbermaid container in the basement. What is recommended for the plumbing? PVC or Flexible PVC. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? It would seem that the flexible PVC would be easier to work with but is there a danger that the joints and unions won't hold up as well in the long run compared to using conventional PVC?

Charlie, I would definately use flex on the return. It will deacrease the head pressure by limiting the amount of 45 or 90 degree elbows needed.

PVC vs Flex PVC

Thank you Mike, Should I stick with the 1 inch return or start out with 1.5 at the sump and then "T" it off to the 1" return under the tank??

What are you using for a return pump? There use to be a thread on here that listed pipe size for a particular water velocity. If I recal once you got to around 1000gph you should be using at least 1.5" diameter pipe. I will see if I can dig it up. May have been posted by Matt L?

Charlie, if you're looking for spaflex locally, Robinson's hardware down in Hudson stocks it.....

If you're looking for pros and cons, the major con is that it's WAY more expensive than PVC. MikeG said the biggest plus......no head loss from joints, etc

PVC vs Flex PVC

Jay thanks for the input, I went to Home Depot and checked Lowes out on the web and neither one had Flexible PC. I will take a run over to Robinsons to check it out.

Jay thanks for the input, I went to Home Depot and checked Lowes out on the web and neither one had Flexible PC. I will take a run over to Robinsons to check it out.

Charlie
Lowe's in Westboro stocks 3/4', 1", 1 1/2", and 2". It's on the upper shelves in the plumbing section. Yhat's where I get mine.

PVC vs Flex PVC

Jay, what pump are you using for your basement sump? Are you using spaflex or regular PVC or a combination?

Bill thanks for the information. I will check there as Lowe's is probably cheaper than Robinson's.

Charlie, I ordered mine from us plastics I believe. Could check Savco as well. With shipping I paid $1/ft for 1" and $1.50/ft for 1.5". Much cheaper than any of the stores I saw locally. I bought 50' rolls of each size and sold what I had left over.

The pump I bought is a reeflo tarpon. I bought it because I plan to eventually tie in a total of 3 tanks.

The plenum (output) is all 1" PVC. One of the outputs is 3/4" spaflex, which goes to my standard AGA megaflow return.

The pump is dialed WAY back. I think you could get a more efficient pump than mine, but I needed something which could do 15 feet of head, which is what my second tank is going to have when it gets tied in.

125 gallon tank with a basement sump I would go with a GenX MAk4, 1" plumbing is fine for the application.

I had a GenX PCX 55HP but it had to be dialed back and used about 165watts the Mak 4(PCX40) runs @ 80 watts.

I tested both with Kilo-watt meter, so that is actual not manufacturers specs

Back