Ques. (Question of the day?) Sand or no sand?

Cpage101

Current BRS Vice President
Officer
BRS Member
Do you have sand substrate or not? Tell us why you use sand substrate or why not.

Me personally it's sand. I really like the look of it in the tank. It makes it brighter in the tank and It think that colors pop more.

Bare bottom. Put black abs down to start it is now covered in coraline and corals. Maintenance is 100 times easier. I get the appeal of sand, but I don't think I ever want to have to maintain it again.

1000005548.jpg

I've tried bare bottom and although it was easier to clean I just didn't like the look of it. With sand it's an extra step toward keeping it all clean but the pop it gives the tank is worth the hassle in my opinion. The coral look nice against white sand

All great answers and reasoning. This is awesome for others to review when planning their next tank build(s) I myself love sand as it as noted above make it look more natural as well as gives a place for my wrasse and snails to sleep

I do love the look of sand and it's benefits. I have not had a system with a sand bed since I believe 2019 ish. I like the high flow and ease of siphoning detritus quickly and easily. With the new system I go back and forth it I want to add sand in for some cool wrasses in the future, maybe.

Back