Question on Rio water pump

wespastor

Non-member
I’m looking for some help. I have read in these varieties of posts that the Rio water pump from time to time has some sort of stray electric. I like to know of other’s experiences with regard to the Rio water pump and their opinions.

I've had a Rio pump on my bak-pak for over 4 years. I usually change it out every 6-8 months and I've never had any problems. I even keep some old ones "just in case."

I've used them for years as utility pumps to mix saltwater and RO. Never had one fail or leak juice, however; I won't put one on my main system because of the negative feedback from other users. Plus, Maxi-Jets are cheap if you buy them online.

I've had two,
Oe metled down and overheated a tank, second was semiretired to mixing salt. Until one day when it threw me on my a$$.

Don't forget they don't fail until the last time you use them.

I've used them for years as utility pumps to mix saltwater and RO. Never had one fail or leak juice, however; I won't put one on my main system because of the negative feedback from other users. Plus, Maxi-Jets are cheap if you buy them online.

I'll be looking for a main DT pump from my sump ... It seems as though the Max-Jets are some type of power head.

The larger one were the ones that were the most prone to fail. I had numerous ones fail, some due the meltdown thing. Particularly bad were the 2500's, the 2100's, and the 1700's.

The larger one were the ones that were the most prone to fail. I had numerous ones fail, some due the meltdown thing. Particularly bad were the 2500's, the 2100's, and the 1700's.

WOW and I had originally planned to go with the Rio 1700 or the 2100. Glad I'm still doing my home work.:.
Looks like I may be going the Quiet One direction unless I read or hear somethin' bad about them too. :)

Eheim submersibles are quite nice IMO/IME, but they are pretty pricy.

There's also a new maxi jet line of utility pumps that look promising, but I wouldn't rely on a new pump until someone else had run one for a while ;)
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_Aquar...rium_systems_maxi-jet_mini-jet_micro-jet.html

yea thanx for the heads up on that -- Right now I am investigating a Quiet One 3000 pump for my needs. http://www.dtpetsupplies.com/catalo...arium-Pump-Rainbow-Lifegard-780-gph-max-flow/
Any thoughts?

I have one of those but I've only used it for water changes, mixing and other odd jobs. It's a solid performer IME, but I have yet to try it in a continious use applicaton. I do hear very good things about them.

if you're planning on a submersible pump, look at oceanrunner pumps....quiet, efficient, and they rock

if you're planning on a submersible pump, look at oceanrunner pumps....quiet, efficient, and they rock

Actually I'm leaning toward the Quiry ONe 3000 I can use it outside the system and not as a submersible type (Heat build up issues).

But I'll check out this one too

Back