Random Coral Prop Questions

coldshutter

Neptonic High Priest
Just started a 90 prop tank and maybe I should already know the answers to these questions but Im just not sure.
1. How small can I cut the GSP matts? How many polyps?
2. How to affix toadstool frags.
3. Getting mush to stick to rubble?
4. Black Suncoral? Do I smash it?
5. How to mount gorgos? And how small to cut gorgos.

Like I said random.

boxclown.jpg

>1. How small can I cut the GSP matts? How many polyps?<

Depends how healthy. The growing edge can do quite well with minimal tissue. GSP is very prone to bacterial infection when cut though. IME, strong current makes this less likely.

>2. How to affix toadstool frags.<

The technique described here will work for toadstool leathers:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/fotm/index.php

>3. Getting mush to stick to rubble?<

Enclose in cup with some rubble. Screen the top with some plastic netting. Wait 3-4 weeks.

>4. Black Suncoral? Do I smash it?<

This coral is prone to infection. It needs very strong currents and lots of feeding. I've fraged it before. It can be fragged like any other branching coral:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-01/gh/index.php

>5. How to mount gorgos? And how small to cut gorgos.<

Funny you should ask...:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-10/fotm/index.php

I have a somewhat lazier approach to mounting gorgonian frags....because I'm lazy. I scrape a little tissue off the center stick like Greg shows then sandwich the scraped gorgonian base between two piece of rubble along with some superglue. If you can do it such that the pieces of rubble press into live tissue, the gorgonian will readily naturally attach to the rock fairly quickly. This has worked well with the thin branching type I have.

when fragging soft leathers such as toadstol or green tree i first use a good coral glue, this is a challenge since the corals hold so much water in there tissues and they have thick slime coats. i also gently rest a small rock or disc on the cut portion,within a few weeks the new frag begins to grow to the rock. gsp can be cut the size of a quarter. then use a good reef glue to apply them to discs or rocks. i love to use kent marines coral accel while doing this. it has marine lipids and tissue growth stimulators, however these products are not necessary. when fragging gorgonians, i ussually clip any size peice 2-3" then i use a scalpal and i remove about 3/8" of the tissue from the bottom. this exposes the interior skeleton for appoxying it, to a disc or rock. if u remove a small portion of the outer tissue this prevents a deterioration/infection of the tissues.

Okay as long as your giving out gold, what should I be looking for lighting? Somthing 36" and Im putting in eggcrate to keep my frag close. T5-VHO or MH? Im thinking T-5 I just dont know what setup is best for prop tank. Thanks again

my frag tank is a 15 gl long. i use egg crate on 5" pvc poles for elevation. i run a single 150 watt hqi jbj viper light 14k spectrum i get amazing growth with this setup.

I was thinking of using a 20g high for a frag tank.

That would work out ok right?

Orange cap is doing awesome!

I remember you guys had an HQI clip on for a decent price. Do you still carry those lights. I think they were 150 watt if I recall.

yes ray and whats even more enbelievable is they cost 199.99 thats the same price as online. highly unussual that retail and wholesale costs are the same. its called the k2 viper from jbj. i use one at home and i love it. i grow my acro frags and acan lords under it. sometimes i wish i had the 20k bulb though i love the intense colors under blue. its a150 watt double ended hqi 14k spectrum

yes ray and whats even more enbelievable is they cost 199.99 thats the same price as online. highly unussual that retail and wholesale costs are the same. its called the k2 viper from jbj. i use one at home and i love it. i grow my acro frags and acan lords under it. sometimes i wish i had the 20k bulb though i love the intense colors under blue. its a150 watt double ended hqi 14k spectrum

I recently switched my display to 15K SE XM's. Absolutely love the color but coral growth has slowed some due to the difference in intensity.

I may pick one up from you guys. I just bought a CA reactor so I may have to wait a month or so for the next big paying gig! :)

Back