RBTAs: What's up?

I knew I shouldn't of opened my mouth...after I posted about how well mine was doing it decided to take another walk. I'm sure it's due to the change of flow from removing my scwd. Well now it's back behind the rock, out of sight. Hmmm....and I was gonna buy clowns for it this weekend. Bad RBTA maybe now clowns for you!

rbta

once i thought it was dead, completly deflated mouth wide open and a bristle worm inspecting it, i was so pissed i just left it.... hour later it was awesome. I seem to deflate once a day, changes its size and shape constanly. It won't eat a whole silver side, and even a peice of one it spits out after awhile, i drop in a whole plug of the frozen brine shrimp, after letting it thaw..... beenabout 2 months now!!!!

I can't wait, im getting my 1st rbta today.... any advice for aclimating these suckers...are they anymore difficult then any other bta?

My GBTA is acting a lot like HepDog's. Looks great untill it eats (mine eats like a pig) then it deflates for a few hours, it does this even after I just feed brine to the tank! two weeks and counting.....

Clamm:

Where do you get you RBTA from? How big is it?

my RBTA experience,

bought a large sized (14 inch across) RBTA from pinkskunk in fall 02.
floated around the tank for 2-4 days, then attached to a rock.
next day maroon clown moved in.
spring 03, added baby maroon clown, clowns paired within three days.
Fall 04 spawned releasing eggs (no water quality problems or mess but 1000's of eggs).
Summer 04, split after heat stress.

now two happy 10 inch RBTA's.

I just bought a very small pair of percs at AA on my way home from NH this weekend. They immediately headed for the rbta when I put them in the tank. Didn't stop to look both ways or anything...just a mad dash for the rbta. The only bad part is the rbta decided that the side glass was a good place to attach to while I was gone. The clowns are still trying to host although a little sideways.

LSOP in portsmouth has a few RBTA ..79.99 each ... i was just there today ..picked up a yellow gargonian ...

question ..i really fight with the idea of getting one ...

the cons: moves around, can sting coral, can die and polute, can get sucked into powerheads and shot all over the tank (happened to me with a hatian a long time ago)

pros: Clowns would do better, looks nice, can split and generate more $$ from the tank ...

the question i have is ... has anyone had one plug up a drain on their tank .. happened at the store once and flooded all night ...

i want one because i think my clowns would like it .. they hang in my frogspawn at the moment ... idk i dont want them stinging my acros ... or getting chopped up .... if it would stay in place i would get it ..no questions asked ...but i like how well my tank is doing (minus some "sick" clowns....)

They are very pretty and there is nothing like watching the clowns interact with one. You can cover your intakes and drains with plastic craft mesh stuff. There is a good chance the clowns won't go for it though. Pretty hit or miss.

Even with shipping you can get one fron Alvin for less. They are great anemones with nice color, and tank breed, so much heartier and very small chance of damage. There are probably a few people who would split shipping. (including me since I lost mine from alvin and the color was so much better than the one I have now)

well i can get them for cost if i want one .. my clowns host in a frogspawn now .. i think they would go in the anenome...what about stinging things?

I'm not too sure about the stinging. Mine moved all over and seemed to avoid corals for the time I had them in a tank full of everything. Any time I did notice them brushing something, I saw no effect, but that could have been due to them not being in the best of health at the time. My understanding is that if they are sick, they don't have much ability to sting, and if they are feeling well, they don't wander much. I'm probably not the best source on this topic though with my limited experience mixing the two. Lots of people in the club have BTAs and I don't recall stinging problems lately.

Back