ready to start dosing randy's, question about kalk

devin mac

Non-member
So, I'm finally going to start giving my tank some of the attention it deserves and start dosing Randy's Recipe to maintain Ca and Alk levels. They are a bit on the low side right now, and I'm guessing that is part of why my corraline is brownish/whitish and i'm losing a decent amount of purple overall... Bad assumption?

Tank's pretty healthy overall, as fas as i can tell, with xenia and GSP growing at a decent rate (though from what I've seen, that doesn't take much as far as tank health...). But i want to make sure my Ca and Alk levels are maintained at a good place before i add any LPS which are going to have slightly higher demands on the system than the xenia and GSP do.. ;-)

Question is, once i dose my CA up to over 400, and get my alk more in the 3.5(?) range (current Ca is 330 and alk is only 2.5 meq/L), should i also mix up a batch of kalk and start dripping that? Or would that be overkill for a tank that at the moment just houses a few colonies of zoos, some gsp, and xenia (along with snails, crabs, and a bazillion pods)?

Thanks in advance!

Did you mix up the mag part of the recipe as well? The mag level is also very important in maintaining alk and CA levels.

If you dose with the 2-part, you should not NEED to drip kalk as well, and dosing kalk will lower your 2-part requirements. If you don't have a high CA drain on your tank, dose judiciously, you can really spike your levels.

good advice. Yeah, I'm going to mix up the Mag part of the recipe at some point in the next week or so. I need to get a Mag test kit before i start doing anything specific to dose it.

That's what i thought about the kalk, but being more than a bit green to this hobby i figured it was worth asking.

-D

Back