red sea mag test problems???

bluesurf1

Non-member
just bought a red sea mag test kit. I can't seem to gat an accurate reading with it. I know my mag is low, it tested 900. but after adding a lot of mag over the last week it still tests the same. Has anyone had prob using this test kit? Also I have tested some new salt water from red sea and it tested low around 900. Is the salt low and is this causing my tank to test low or is the test crap. Has anyone tested red sea salt? If possible can someone test it for me if they do have it. Thanks for the replies.

red sea arn't the best test kits to start. Id offer you a test if you were closer.
http://jdieck1.home.comcast.net/chemcalc.html
thats a calculator that can be helpfull. over 100 galons and it will take bottles & bottles of say, seachem mag to get your ppm high. i keep mine around 1400ppm. once you get it up to where you want it takes a while for it to decrease.

thanks, I will buy a salifert kit. I didn't realize that red sea was that bad. I have gone to the 4 lfs and tha twas the only one. Most store were telling me that I did not need to test mag. Anyway does any have red sea salt on hand, or does that suck also. If you do have some could you do a test on it and see what you come up with. If you have the time. My kit tested 900 for it. Maybe I can ballpark it fromthere to see if I have a problem on my hands or not. Also is there any ill effects for having too high mag as I have added quite a bit over the last week. 400ppm worth. Thanks much for any input. You guys are great, Brad

seachem is good. A good rule is if they sell it at petco its prob junk."im guessing"

there are other brands that are just as good.

a link on how to make your own..
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

yes i use driveway deicer for calcium.sniker.

that method "randy's" 30 bucks or so and your set for years..

the way i test is alk calcium weekly. mag monthly, phosphates and nitrite when i see algie.

test mag on occation its part of calcification..
sorry about my spelling.
and i belive it helps keep calcium from parcipitateing out.. like snow.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. That is what got me here in the first place. I never tested for mag and I was going to start dosing with that recipe. I had to adjust some parameters according to directions. Bought the test and found a 900 reading. So I dosed the epsom salts, quite a bit to say the least. The prob is after dosing for about a week it only went up to 1000 which should not be possible according to the calculater on RC. So anyway I don't want to dose anymore mag till I get an accurate reading that I feel comfy with. Although the corals look really happy and good PE and a really nice growth spurt. So I do feel I was right about being low on mag. Thanks for the help and I should be able to use Kiah's salifert test tomorrow.

yeah red sea is way off. Now mag way too high. Is there a problem with this? Should I do water changes or just let it diminish over time? Thanks for the replies.

Back