Red Sea Reefer Max-S 550 G2+

TheBigDrewsky

BRS Member
Welp - we did it - bought and paid and awaiting shipping details - hoping to keep up with build pics and will post here when I remember - I haven’t seen a yet 550 build yet so this will be fun! Also added the 4 dose system as well.

Serious thinking about also adding APEX to this build to work in combination with Red Sea - curious if others have thoughts about using both in collaboration for tank automation.

Attachments

• IMG_1153.jpeg
    IMG_1153.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 117
Welp - we did it - bought and paid and awaiting shipping details - hoping to keep up with build pics and will post here when I remember - I haven’t seen a yet 550 build yet so this will be fun! Also added the 4 dose system as well.

Serious thinking about also adding APEX to this build to work in combination with Red Sea - curious if others have thoughts about using both in collaboration for tank automation.
what's the turn around time on something like this ?

Excited to see this progress!

I will say that APEX is a whole different ball game than the RedSea ecosystem, at least to my knowledge. Apex allows for much more flexibility in programming, RedSea simply does not have the monitoring capabilities that Apex or GHL does (pH, temp, minerals, ORP, etc).

I have not been a huge fan of the ReefLED 50s and the ReefBeat app from Redsea. Color is nice but PAR is not enough with 2 50s over a 36x18 footprint. And recently one of my LEDs has stopped coming on many days, requiring manual reconnection. Not response from Redsea after several attempts to contact them. Have tried all the published tricks and sort of working with offline mode and stuff. But I would not buy these lights (came with used tank). Just my 2 cents. 160s probably a lot more PAR at least

So, the cabinet shell has been built, I would have posted vids or pics but (1) totally became engrossed in the building because lets just say, ‘the schematics were hard to read and see”, and (2) the cursing would have offended some. There was also at least one error in the labeling of parts in the drawing which cause confusion, a few extra pieces (in white - weird because we ordered black). Total of about 3 hours - next weekend a small workforce coming to carry and lift the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_1417.jpeg
    IMG_1417.jpeg
    118.9 KB · Views: 96
Water is in and cycling - quick lights to show off the aquascape - still need some cord management after we add DOS for AWC and ATO this week.

Attachments

• IMG_1830.jpeg
    IMG_1830.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 60
Back