Red Velvet patch here and there on nice purple rock

jdemarco

Non-member
What I am talking about is maroon in color

What is it?????, its been there for while but i am thinking that I now have a few more small patches than i did many months ago......nothing on sand at all EVER, just a few patches here and there on my rocks..its not loose by any means it is actually "on the rock" similar to the way coraline is "on the rock" in some very concentrated or specific spots......is this natural or invasive?....it doesnt look bad to me by any means and does NOT bother me but is this the beginning of something that will continue or just natural growth on a one year old tank???......

thanks

Cyno.... algae - it will spread like wild fire.
Water changes and vacuum it up will slow it down.

Chemically you can use Boyd's Chemi-Clean - note change 50% of water after 24-48 hours of use and follow the directions to the tee.

What is it?????, its been there for while but i am thinking that I now have a few more small patches than i did many months ago......nothing on sand at all EVER, just a few patches here and there on my rocks..its not loose by any means it is actually "on the rock" similar to the way coraline is "on the rock" in some very concentrated or specific spots......is this natural or invasive?....it doesnt look bad to me by any means and does NOT bother me but is this the beginning of something that will continue or just natural growth on a one year old tank???......

thanks

Your description has me wondering. Is this stuff hard (like coraline), or soft to the touch?

thanks

Could also just be a different color of coralline. Do you remember if there was coralline on those spots before the maroon?

Your description has me wondering. Is this stuff hard (like coraline), or soft to the touch? HARD, since it is attached or looks like part of rock

Anyone have good view picture of Cyano?

THIS IS OLD THANK GOD IT'S GONE
TANK1.jpg

Sounds like coraline like algae to me from your description, if so, no worries I have a few places on my rock work that is a "deeper" color than the bright purple. It is smooth to the touch and does not remove easily.

Your description has me wondering. Is this stuff hard (like coraline), or soft to the touch? HARD, since it is attached or looks like part of rock

Then what you are dealing with is not Cyano, nor would I be worried about it. It is likely just another strain of coraline algae.

Thanks. I think more like coraline myelf.... it does NOT easily come off (if at all) and it is not on the sand and it is not loose by any means......in random patches on rocks only. Thanks for all of your responses

Thanks. I think more like coraline myelf.... it does NOT easily come off (if at all) and it is not on the sand and it is not loose by any means......in random patches on rocks only. Thanks for all of your responses

Coraline comes in all different colors. Red, pink, purple, white. I have heard of green too but I have never had it.

Back