Reef Octopus SRO-3000-INT or 5000??

mnavick

BRS Member
The 3000 is rated for 300g and the 5000 is rated for 400g.
I have a 150g medium load mixed DT with 80+/-g sump (old 90g 3/4 full just for skimmer) and a 50+/-g fuge (old 55g baffled 3/4 full with sand,rock,cheato,heaters and return pump). The $100 difference is not really an issue would just hate to spend the extra dough just to have it under perform. Maybe a few more small fish down the road but no real significant changes.
Bigger is always better up to a certain point :)

Thoughts/opinions. TIA

I have the sro5000 external for my 125g, which rated for 500g. Get a skimmer as big as you can.

We have the 5000 running on a 250ish gal system ... The bubble blaster pump is awesome

I have the 3000 on my 120 with 30 gallon sump and it does a great job. Pulls out a lot of gunk and always has a nice head of foam. For $100 you should just go with the bigger skimmer. Better to buy it too big than too small and have to buy another one down the road.

I have the XP-3000. I have a 180 display, and 300g of total water volume. I have a ton of fish. I recommend you go with the 3000. If you go to big you will not be able to carry a proper foam head due to lack of bioload.

There is a RC thread on Octopus sizing. Consult with the experts. The Bubble Blaster pump is awesome.

I have the XP-3000. I have a 180 display, and 300g of total water volume. I have a ton of fish. I recommend you go with the 3000. If you go to big you will not be able to carry a proper foam head due to lack of bioload.

There is a RC thread on Octopus sizing. Consult with the experts. The Bubble Blaster pump is awesome.

Thanks................Just found a bunch of threads with Jeremy from CoralVue explaining a lot about the Reef Octopus and it's sizing. Like you recommended,he to states the 3000 will be perfect, actually maybe a little to big. Woohoo, $100 for more corals :)

Thanks................Just found a bunch of threads with Jeremy from CoralVue explaining a lot about the Reef Octopus and it's sizing. Like you recommended,he to states the 3000 will be perfect, actually maybe a little to big. Woohoo, $100 for more corals :)

Jeremy at CoralVue is great. I had an impeller shaft go bad and he replaced it. He kind of sounds like Napoleon Dynamite if you have the luxury of speaking to him. :D

The BB pump carries a 3 year warranty which is another reason to go with them.

Can't go wrong with CoralVue. My Bubble Blaster 5000 seized up and they replaced it immediately without hassle or the trouble of sending the old pump back like other manufacture.

Back